Re: Names translation

  • SfStarfire
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 22, 2001
      Actually, it's really just Randy - not short for anything else...
      and Starfire is just an old name that I've used for a long while as
      a screen name, email, company - stuff like that. For Randy, I
      figured there wouldn't be anything other than a "letters" matching
      type thing... for Starfire, I figure that Star and Fire both have
      been defined in Quenya already, but I let Tengwar Scribe transcribe
      it anyway.

      Given the actual translation of "Randy" in British and Australian
      slang, I'd probably NOT want to translate the meanings :)

      Thanks!
      Sf

      --- In elfscript@y..., Michael Adams <abrigon@y...> wrote:
      > Are you going for direct translation. Like Raendee, or are you
      > going for meaning of the name, which I don't know what is means,
      > but I suspect it is a shortening of another longer name like
      > Randolph or like, of which you willl have to find it out to
      > translate.
      >
      > Like mine in Mike, but it is Michael, which is "Like on to God"
      > or something. Actually more like "Like on to thr Lord". Which
      > would be interesting to translate into Quenya and Tengwar. The
      > version I did my self, changes Michael (Miikul) as something lime
      > Kimbatul or like.
      >
      > Mike

    • uialdil
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 22, 2001
        Teithant Mike Abrigon:
        > > Like mine in Mike, but it is Michael, which is "Like on to God"
        > > or something. Actually more like "Like on to thr Lord". Which
        > > would be interesting to translate into Quenya and Tengwar. The
        > > version I did my self, changes Michael (Miikul) as something lime
        > > Kimbatul or like.
        > >
        > > Mike

        Actually, 'who is like unto God' is correct; 'El' means 'God' in Hebrew, no=
        t 'Lord' (which is 'Adonai'). According to Helge Hauskanger and Ales Bican, =
        'Manveru' is the Quenya translation for Michael. It is a contraction for 'Ma=
        n (ná) ve Eru' = 'Who (is) like God'. I trust their judgment. And it's cool =
        in tengwar!

        Cuio mae, Danny.
      • Abrigon
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 22, 2001
          I did my own version of Tengwar years ago. I can only remember some of
          them to this day.

          El is that not like Al, namely The
          Ah is like Lord.

          But, I am a dirt scholar, so will have to check again.

          Allah = The Lord. Or Lord God?

          Mike