Names translation

  • Michael Adams
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 22, 2001
      Are you going for direct translation. Like Raendee, or are you
      going for meaning of the name, which I don't know what is means,
      but I suspect it is a shortening of another longer name like
      Randolph or like, of which you willl have to find it out to
      translate.

      Like mine in Mike, but it is Michael, which is "Like on to God"
      or something. Actually more like "Like on to thr Lord". Which
      would be interesting to translate into Quenya and Tengwar. The
      version I did my self, changes Michael (Miikul) as something lime
      Kimbatul or like.

      Mike

    • SfStarfire
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 22, 2001
        Actually, it's really just Randy - not short for anything else...
        and Starfire is just an old name that I've used for a long while as
        a screen name, email, company - stuff like that. For Randy, I
        figured there wouldn't be anything other than a "letters" matching
        type thing... for Starfire, I figure that Star and Fire both have
        been defined in Quenya already, but I let Tengwar Scribe transcribe
        it anyway.

        Given the actual translation of "Randy" in British and Australian
        slang, I'd probably NOT want to translate the meanings :)

        Thanks!
        Sf

        --- In elfscript@y..., Michael Adams <abrigon@y...> wrote:
        > Are you going for direct translation. Like Raendee, or are you
        > going for meaning of the name, which I don't know what is means,
        > but I suspect it is a shortening of another longer name like
        > Randolph or like, of which you willl have to find it out to
        > translate.
        >
        > Like mine in Mike, but it is Michael, which is "Like on to God"
        > or something. Actually more like "Like on to thr Lord". Which
        > would be interesting to translate into Quenya and Tengwar. The
        > version I did my self, changes Michael (Miikul) as something lime
        > Kimbatul or like.
        >
        > Mike

      • uialdil
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 22, 2001
          Teithant Mike Abrigon:
          > > Like mine in Mike, but it is Michael, which is "Like on to God"
          > > or something. Actually more like "Like on to thr Lord". Which
          > > would be interesting to translate into Quenya and Tengwar. The
          > > version I did my self, changes Michael (Miikul) as something lime
          > > Kimbatul or like.
          > >
          > > Mike

          Actually, 'who is like unto God' is correct; 'El' means 'God' in Hebrew, no=
          t 'Lord' (which is 'Adonai'). According to Helge Hauskanger and Ales Bican, =
          'Manveru' is the Quenya translation for Michael. It is a contraction for 'Ma=
          n (ná) ve Eru' = 'Who (is) like God'. I trust their judgment. And it's cool =
          in tengwar!

          Cuio mae, Danny.
        • Abrigon
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 22, 2001
            I did my own version of Tengwar years ago. I can only remember some of
            them to this day.

            El is that not like Al, namely The
            Ah is like Lord.

            But, I am a dirt scholar, so will have to check again.

            Allah = The Lord. Or Lord God?

            Mike