Re: [elfscript] Translation verification for a name...

    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 22, 2001

      teithant SfStarfire

      > Thanks in advance for you combined knowledge!

      * transcription, not translation :)

      i agree with the result of Tengscribe... however for starshine you should have used Roomen for r, Calma with extended stems for sh and Nuumen for n... your tehtar are good...

      for the Cirth, I think you should use I instead of long E at the end

    • SfStarfire
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 22, 2001
        Thank ya, Gildor!

        So the transcription is correct; I appreciate the proofing on that.
        I wanted to make sure that the word itself was correct before doing
        anything permenant with it, and with my obvious lack of knowledge I
        had no way to know for certain.

        Funny that the 3rd line came back around as Starshine; it went into
        the Scribe as Starfire. I figure there that Quenya has words to
        match both star and fire seperatedly, but I let the Scribe do the
        work for me; figured it would be close.

        For the Cirth runes, I actually came close to doing the rune for EE,
        but in looking at some of the writings of the Cirth on the web, it
        looked like either would work. I looked for similar sounding words
        on the "first" pages of LotR that a number of web sites paid
        attention to. I'm just happen that I was at least partially
        close... Cirth looks like it lends itself more to English; given the
        presumed anglo-saxon roots of the language, it makes sense.

        Thanks again!
        Sf

        --- In elfscript@y..., Gildor Inglorion <elfiness@y...> wrote:

        > teithant SfStarfire
        >
        > > Thanks in advance for you combined knowledge!
        >
        > * transcription, not translation :)
        >
        > i agree with the result of Tengscribe... however for starshine you
        should have used Roomen for r, Calma with extended stems for sh and
        Nuumen for n... your tehtar are good...

        > for the Cirth, I think you should use I instead of long E at the
        end

      • uialdil
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 22, 2001
          Teithant Gildor Inglorion:
          > * transcription, not translation :)

          >Yup!

          > i agree with the result of Tengscribe... however for starshine you should=
          have used Roomen for r, Calma with extended stems for sh and Nuumen for n..=
          . your tehtar are good...

          Check it again...it DOES say 'starFIRE', NOT 'starSHINE'. And óre is correc=
          t, not rómen since it represents a pre-consonantal 'r' rather than the prev=
          ocalic 'r' denoted by 'rómen'.

          > for the Cirth, I think you should use I instead of long E at the end

          True, since 'i' and 'y' represent the same sound in English. As far as that=
          goes, iota and ypsilon represent the same sound in Greek as well (except, o=
          f course, in diphthongs!)

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 22, 2001

            teithant SfStarfire

            > Thank ya, Gildor!

            * you are most welcome

            > Funny that the 3rd line came back around as Starshine; it went into

            the Scribe as Starfire.  I figure there that Quenya has words to
            match both star and fire seperatedly, but I let the Scribe do the
            work for me; figured it would be close.

            * oh, it was indeed Starfire? I thought it was a wrong attempt for Starshine!! my apologies... then your word seems to be correct although he second _r_ should be Roomen instead of Oore

            > For the Cirth runes, I actually came close to doing the rune for EE,

            but in looking at some of the writings of the Cirth on the web, it
            looked like either would work.  I looked for similar sounding words
            on the "first" pages of LotR that a number of web sites paid
            attention to.  I'm just happen that I was at least partially
            close... Cirth looks like it lends itself more to English; given the
            presumed anglo-saxon roots of the language, it makes sense.

            * but i think [randi] would be more close to Randy than [rande:]... in Cirth long e is pronounced as.. er.. 'long e' and not as 'long i' in English "meet"

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 22, 2001

              teithant uialdil

              > i agree with the result of Tengscribe... however for starshine you should=

              have used Roomen for r, Calma with extended stems for sh and Nuumen for n..=
              . your tehtar are good...

              > Check it again...it DOES say 'starFIRE', NOT 'starSHINE'. And σre is correc=
              t, not rσmen since it represents a pre-consonantal 'r' rather than the  prev=
              ocalic 'r' denoted by 'rσmen'.

              ** yup... i wrongly thought he intended to write 'starshine'.. still only the fist 'r' sould be Oore

            • DDanielA@webtv.net
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 23, 2001
                Teithant Gildor Inglorion:
                **yup... i wrongly thought he
                intended to write 'starshine'...
                still only the fist 'r' sould be
                Oore

                I disagree. In the King's Letter (Version I) and the "Errantry"
                calligraphy manuscripts, JRRT uses oore to represent 'r' before a final
                silent 'e', not roomen. In other words, an 'e' that is silent in
                standard British English is written as oore; 'fire' fits into this
                category. [fai@] (where @ represents the schwa). See especially his
                transliteration of 'Shire' in the King's Letter, Version I.

                Cuio mae, Danny.
              • SfStarfire
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 23, 2001
                  > * oh, it was indeed Starfire? I thought it was a wrong attempt for
                  Starshine!! my apologies... then your word seems to be correct
                  although he second _r_ should be Roomen instead of Oore

                  Roomen b/c it's pre-vowel? And does that rule apply if it's
                  a "silent" vowel?

                  > * but i think [randi] would be more close to Randy than
                  [rande:]... in Cirth long e is pronounced as.. er.. 'long e' and not
                  as 'long i' in English "meet"

                  Ironically enough, I've spelled Randy as Randee for fun during the
                  80s... that whole MTV Redwoods thingy. Either works for me,
                  actually; I just wanted to make sure I had it mostly right!

                  Thanks again,
                  Sf
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 23, 2001

                    teithant SfStarfire

                    > Roomen b/c it's pre-vowel?  And does that rule apply if it's a "silent" vowel?

                    * well no... oore must be used here... I am not very good at tengwar-elvish orthography.. sorry for the inconvenience :(

                  • SfStarfire
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 27, 2001
                      Hey, I'm the TRUE novice here - didn't you see what my translation
                      was before I found the Scribe? :)