missing signs in tengwar fonts

  • machhezan
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 10 6:55 AM
      Johan Winge wrote:
      > I'm happy to notify you that a new and much improved version of
      > Tengwar Annatar now is available for download:

      Such a beautiful font, but what a pity, it lacks some signs that are
      required in the best attested modes we know of (at least by number of
      signs), in the phonetic English modes: The u-shaped version of anna
      (used in all phonetic full writing modes of English), the reversed
      rĂ³men (used in the earlier phonetic full writing modes of English),
      and the grave accent (used in a phonetic tehtar mode of English, DTS
      41). I haven't seen the latter in any tengwar font yet, while other
      barely attested signs are found in most tengwar fonts, e.g. the circle
      below, or stemless parma.

      The tengwar fonts I've seen seem to be designed mainly for the
      transcription of the Elvish tongues. I imagine that this is also what
      they're most of the time used for. Tolkien's tengwar samples, however,
      are most of the times in English (at least the published samples).