Rómen vs. Vala

  • machhezan
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6, 2004
      There's a couple of different English modes that represent all r-
      sounds with óre (which is preferable for many English speakers). As
      far as these samples have an (initial) _w_, it isn't represented by
      vala as we would expect by the evidence of other modes and by the
      internal consistency of the tengwar system, but by rómen.

      How could this be explained? My explanation is the following: These
      modes use vala for another sound: _u_, so they can't use it for _w_.
      Therefore, they need another sign for _w_: rómen.

      This explanation has the following consequence: In mode like the one
      of DTS 25 where all r-sounds are represented by óre and where _u_ is
      represented by úre, the sound of _w_ is represented by vala, since
      there's no need to employ rómen.

      Do you think that this consequence is justified?