Re: Devanagari: An Inspiration for the Tengwar?

  • Abrigon
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 17, 2001
      Black Enemy, do you mean in the Elvish or do you mean in Gothic.

      The people who gave the name Goth to the language, but who were
      themselves very civilized once they settled down, but sadly most when
      they became christian, became Arian Christian, which to Catholics was
      a heresy, same with their cousins the Vandals, who have the same
      dislike in the western world. Even if it was the now Catholic
      Visigoths who fell to the might of Islam in Spain. The goths existed
      in the Crimea until around 1700, or so the stories go.

      Goth is a Eastern Germanic lingo, verus the English/German being
      Western Germanic, and Norse (and related tongues) as Northern
      Germanic.

      Mike
      In Sindarian/Quenya it did mean the Black Enemy/Dark Enemy, while his
      first name was Melkor, one who arises in might.. But after Feanor was
      mindly corrupted by him, as well as cause Feanor to revolt against the
      Vala, he was named Morgoth. Partially for his killing of Feanors
      father, as well as poisoning the one tree and like. so that the only
      light of the one tree in the world was the Silmarill.

      cowan@c...
      > Please leave your values | Check your assumptions. In
      fact,
      > at the front desk. | check your assumptions at
      the door.
      > --sign in Paris hotel | --Miles Vorkosigan
    • abrigon
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 31, 2003
        We do need to remember Prof Tolkien was raised in part in South
        Africa, that has a large east indian population, atleast one time.. It
        is also where Gandhi learned a bit of his lawyer ways..

        Not likely the Prof and Ganghi knew each other, but they had some
        similar exposure in a same time/place..

        Also seen in one of my books, a script by another English professor
        that looks alot like the later Tengwar.. Not sure of it's origin and
        all..

        Mike
      • John Cowan
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 1, 2003
          abrigon scripsit:

          > We do need to remember Prof Tolkien was raised in part in South
          > Africa, that has a large east indian population, atleast one time.. It
          > is also where Gandhi learned a bit of his lawyer ways..

          Tolkien was born in S.A. and left there at age 4. Gandhi arrived at age
          23 and left at age 44. Not much common ground there!

          --
          John Cowan http://www.ccil.org/~cowan cowan@...
          To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all. There