Re: [elfscript] Re: "I love you"

  • morwen_eledhwen@mailbug.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 4 11:51 AM
      Suilad!

      Teithant Carl:
      >No one knows how it _would_ be said in Sindarin. At best, people can
      >give their ideas about how it _might_ be said, based on such known [...]
      >But there is no guarantee at all that this is how Tolkien would have
      >chosen to translate the phrase.
      >Please be aware that 99.44% of the time that anyone, even the
      >"experts", says "This is how you say X in Sindarin", it is in fact
      >exactly this sort of speculation, not at all certain (and very often
      >not even very plausible). In fact, unless someone provides a page
      >citation for any claimed form or phrase, you can be all but certain
      >that it is unattested and pure speculation.
      >Carl Hostetter

      Ah yes, how I wish Tolkien was still living... :-) As do we all, I'm sure!
      Thank you for helping this beginner! I will study more.

      Hannad!
      -Celuien
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 4 11:59 PM
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Carl F. Hostetter <Aelfwine@e...>
        wrote:

        > On Apr 4, 2004, at 11:01 AM, morwen_eledhwen@m... wrote:
        >
        > > I was wondering, how would it be said in Sindarin?
        >
        > No one knows how it _would_ be said in Sindarin. At best, people
        can
        > give their ideas about how it _might_ be said, based on such known
        > elements and patterns that can plausibly be brought to bear. For
        > example, one might propose:
        >
        > *_Le melon_
        >
        > using the attested Sindarin pronoun _le_ 'thee', the attested
        Noldorin
        > verb-stem _mel-_ 'love', the attested 1st sg. ending _-on_ 'I', and
        the
        > attested syntax _le linnon_ (though even this is problematic, as
        _le_
        > may be a specifically dative form, unsuitable as the object of _mel-
        _).
        > But there is no guarantee at all that this is how Tolkien would
        have
        > chosen to translate the phrase.
        >
        > Please be aware that 99.44% of the time that anyone, even the
        > "experts", says "This is how you say X in Sindarin", it is in fact
        > exactly this sort of speculation, not at all certain (and very
        often
        > not even very plausible). In fact, unless someone provides a page
        > citation for any claimed form or phrase, you can be all but certain
        > that it is unattested and pure speculation.
        >
        > Carl Hostetter

        I forwarded my answer to this post to Elfling-d since this is not
        about the script anymore if anyone would be interested. :)