Re: [elfscript] Re: "I love you"

  • morwen_eledhwen@mailbug.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 4, 2004
      Suilad,

      I was wondering, how would it be said in Sindarin?

      Hannad,
      -Celuien

      >>No, this is _not_ attested. The only attested forms are:
      >>_Atarinya tye-mel�ne_ 'My father, I love thee' (_Lost
      >>Road_ p. 61) and _A yonya inye tye-m�la_ 'And I too, my son, I love
      >>thee'.
    • Carl F. Hostetter
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 4, 2004
        On Apr 4, 2004, at 11:01 AM, morwen_eledhwen@... wrote:

        > I was wondering, how would it be said in Sindarin?

        No one knows how it _would_ be said in Sindarin. At best, people can
        give their ideas about how it _might_ be said, based on such known
        elements and patterns that can plausibly be brought to bear. For
        example, one might propose:

        *_Le melon_

        using the attested Sindarin pronoun _le_ 'thee', the attested Noldorin
        verb-stem _mel-_ 'love', the attested 1st sg. ending _-on_ 'I', and the
        attested syntax _le linnon_ (though even this is problematic, as _le_
        may be a specifically dative form, unsuitable as the object of _mel-_).
        But there is no guarantee at all that this is how Tolkien would have
        chosen to translate the phrase.

        Please be aware that 99.44% of the time that anyone, even the
        "experts", says "This is how you say X in Sindarin", it is in fact
        exactly this sort of speculation, not at all certain (and very often
        not even very plausible). In fact, unless someone provides a page
        citation for any claimed form or phrase, you can be all but certain
        that it is unattested and pure speculation.

        Carl Hostetter
      • morwen_eledhwen@mailbug.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 4, 2004
          Suilad!

          Teithant Carl:
          >No one knows how it _would_ be said in Sindarin. At best, people can
          >give their ideas about how it _might_ be said, based on such known [...]
          >But there is no guarantee at all that this is how Tolkien would have
          >chosen to translate the phrase.
          >Please be aware that 99.44% of the time that anyone, even the
          >"experts", says "This is how you say X in Sindarin", it is in fact
          >exactly this sort of speculation, not at all certain (and very often
          >not even very plausible). In fact, unless someone provides a page
          >citation for any claimed form or phrase, you can be all but certain
          >that it is unattested and pure speculation.
          >Carl Hostetter

          Ah yes, how I wish Tolkien was still living... :-) As do we all, I'm sure!
          Thank you for helping this beginner! I will study more.

          Hannad!
          -Celuien
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 4, 2004
            --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Carl F. Hostetter <Aelfwine@e...>
            wrote:

            > On Apr 4, 2004, at 11:01 AM, morwen_eledhwen@m... wrote:
            >
            > > I was wondering, how would it be said in Sindarin?
            >
            > No one knows how it _would_ be said in Sindarin. At best, people
            can
            > give their ideas about how it _might_ be said, based on such known
            > elements and patterns that can plausibly be brought to bear. For
            > example, one might propose:
            >
            > *_Le melon_
            >
            > using the attested Sindarin pronoun _le_ 'thee', the attested
            Noldorin
            > verb-stem _mel-_ 'love', the attested 1st sg. ending _-on_ 'I', and
            the
            > attested syntax _le linnon_ (though even this is problematic, as
            _le_
            > may be a specifically dative form, unsuitable as the object of _mel-
            _).
            > But there is no guarantee at all that this is how Tolkien would
            have
            > chosen to translate the phrase.
            >
            > Please be aware that 99.44% of the time that anyone, even the
            > "experts", says "This is how you say X in Sindarin", it is in fact
            > exactly this sort of speculation, not at all certain (and very
            often
            > not even very plausible). In fact, unless someone provides a page
            > citation for any claimed form or phrase, you can be all but certain
            > that it is unattested and pure speculation.
            >
            > Carl Hostetter

            I forwarded my answer to this post to Elfling-d since this is not
            about the script anymore if anyone would be interested. :)