Re: "I love you"

  • d_daniel_andries@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 4, 2004
      Teithant Carl F.Hostetter:
      >No, this is _not_ attested. The only attested forms are:
      >      _Atarinya tye-meláne_ 'My father, I love thee' (_Lost
      >Road_ p. 61)
      >and

      >      _A yonya inye tye-méla_ 'And I too, my son, I love
      >thee' (ibid.)

      Ack! You're right,of course. That's what happens when I post before
      taking my meds!

      Cuio mae, Danny.
    • morwen_eledhwen@mailbug.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 4, 2004
        Suilad,

        I was wondering, how would it be said in Sindarin?

        Hannad,
        -Celuien

        >>No, this is _not_ attested. The only attested forms are:
        >>_Atarinya tye-mel�ne_ 'My father, I love thee' (_Lost
        >>Road_ p. 61) and _A yonya inye tye-m�la_ 'And I too, my son, I love
        >>thee'.
      • Carl F. Hostetter
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 4, 2004
          On Apr 4, 2004, at 11:01 AM, morwen_eledhwen@... wrote:

          > I was wondering, how would it be said in Sindarin?

          No one knows how it _would_ be said in Sindarin. At best, people can
          give their ideas about how it _might_ be said, based on such known
          elements and patterns that can plausibly be brought to bear. For
          example, one might propose:

          *_Le melon_

          using the attested Sindarin pronoun _le_ 'thee', the attested Noldorin
          verb-stem _mel-_ 'love', the attested 1st sg. ending _-on_ 'I', and the
          attested syntax _le linnon_ (though even this is problematic, as _le_
          may be a specifically dative form, unsuitable as the object of _mel-_).
          But there is no guarantee at all that this is how Tolkien would have
          chosen to translate the phrase.

          Please be aware that 99.44% of the time that anyone, even the
          "experts", says "This is how you say X in Sindarin", it is in fact
          exactly this sort of speculation, not at all certain (and very often
          not even very plausible). In fact, unless someone provides a page
          citation for any claimed form or phrase, you can be all but certain
          that it is unattested and pure speculation.

          Carl Hostetter
        • morwen_eledhwen@mailbug.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 4, 2004
            Suilad!

            Teithant Carl:
            >No one knows how it _would_ be said in Sindarin. At best, people can
            >give their ideas about how it _might_ be said, based on such known [...]
            >But there is no guarantee at all that this is how Tolkien would have
            >chosen to translate the phrase.
            >Please be aware that 99.44% of the time that anyone, even the
            >"experts", says "This is how you say X in Sindarin", it is in fact
            >exactly this sort of speculation, not at all certain (and very often
            >not even very plausible). In fact, unless someone provides a page
            >citation for any claimed form or phrase, you can be all but certain
            >that it is unattested and pure speculation.
            >Carl Hostetter

            Ah yes, how I wish Tolkien was still living... :-) As do we all, I'm sure!
            Thank you for helping this beginner! I will study more.

            Hannad!
            -Celuien
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 4, 2004
              --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Carl F. Hostetter <Aelfwine@e...>
              wrote:

              > On Apr 4, 2004, at 11:01 AM, morwen_eledhwen@m... wrote:
              >
              > > I was wondering, how would it be said in Sindarin?
              >
              > No one knows how it _would_ be said in Sindarin. At best, people
              can
              > give their ideas about how it _might_ be said, based on such known
              > elements and patterns that can plausibly be brought to bear. For
              > example, one might propose:
              >
              > *_Le melon_
              >
              > using the attested Sindarin pronoun _le_ 'thee', the attested
              Noldorin
              > verb-stem _mel-_ 'love', the attested 1st sg. ending _-on_ 'I', and
              the
              > attested syntax _le linnon_ (though even this is problematic, as
              _le_
              > may be a specifically dative form, unsuitable as the object of _mel-
              _).
              > But there is no guarantee at all that this is how Tolkien would
              have
              > chosen to translate the phrase.
              >
              > Please be aware that 99.44% of the time that anyone, even the
              > "experts", says "This is how you say X in Sindarin", it is in fact
              > exactly this sort of speculation, not at all certain (and very
              often
              > not even very plausible). In fact, unless someone provides a page
              > citation for any claimed form or phrase, you can be all but certain
              > that it is unattested and pure speculation.
              >
              > Carl Hostetter

              I forwarded my answer to this post to Elfling-d since this is not
              about the script anymore if anyone would be interested. :)