[elfscript] Re: Help needed - Elfscript.

  • d_daniel_andries@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2, 2004
      Teithant fouleviltemptress:
      >I am more concerned about "Phillippa" and "Brian" being
      >written in elvish than "I love you".

      There is an attested 'I love you' inQuenya: _melinyel_.

      >I used an online translator and one of my friends used
      >the Silmarillion and got "Phillippa" as "Nindë" and "Brian"
      >as "Maeglin".

      I suspect that you used an online name generator (like the one at Barrow
      Downs), not a translator. The name generators throw out random Quenya
      and Sindarin elements without regard to their meanings. I would put more
      trust in the Quenya Lapseparma.

      >...to be written in the text (or similar) seen on the ring
      >in LOTR -

      The tengwar font most closely resembling the script used for te
      inscription of the One Ring is Johan Winge's Tengwar Annatar Italic.

      Cuio mae, Danny.
    • Carl F. Hostetter
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 2, 2004
        On Apr 2, 2004, at 9:40 AM, d_daniel_andries@... wrote:

        > There is an attested 'I love you' inQuenya: _melinyel_.

        No, this is _not_ attested. The only attested forms are:

        _Atarinya tye-meláne_ 'My father, I love thee' (_Lost Road_ p. 61)

        and

        _A yonya inye tye-méla_ 'And I too, my son, I love thee' (ibid.)

        ho bios brachys, he de techne makre.
        Ars longa, vita brevis.