Re: Help needed - Elfscript.

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2, 2004
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "fouleviltemptress"
      <fouleviltemptress@y...> wrote:

      > > I use this link:
      > > www.elvish.org/elm/names.html
      > >
      > > since this one is higly safe and trustworthy.
      > >
      > > Send a pic of whatever you want, it is your tattoo. :) But since
      e.
      > g.
      > > Phillippa means _horse-lover_ and there is no _roch_ in the name
      > > you're giving, I suppose it's wrong.
      > >
      > > Lucy
      >
      > From the link you gave:
      > PHILIPPA (f.) - feminine form of PHILIP (q.v.), thus Roccondilde or
      > Roccondilme
      > BRIAN (m.) - uncertain, however NWHAGEN gives Poldon
      > BRIAN: This is a Celtic name meaning "Strong". Under POL we find an
      > adjective polda "strong, burly", from which we construct the name
      > Poldon.
      >
      > I have sent you a image with the names written in Elvish and in
      Elvish
      > text. Please see if they are correct.
      > Thanks.
      > Phillippa

      You have to either send the pic directly to my address:
      calwen.rudh@... or to put the pic in the Files of this group.
      Pics can't be attached to the posts.

      Lucy
    • fouleviltemptress
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 2, 2004
        > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "fouleviltemptress"
        > <fouleviltemptress@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > > I use this link:
        > > > www.elvish.org/elm/names.html
        > > >
        > > > since this one is higly safe and trustworthy.
        > > >
        > > > Send a pic of whatever you want, it is your tattoo. :) But since
        > e.
        > > g.
        > > > Phillippa means _horse-lover_ and there is no _roch_ in the name
        > > > you're giving, I suppose it's wrong.
        > > >
        > > > Lucy
        > >
        > > From the link you gave:
        > > PHILIPPA (f.) - feminine form of PHILIP (q.v.), thus Roccondilde
        or
        > > Roccondilme
        > > BRIAN (m.) - uncertain, however NWHAGEN gives Poldon
        > > BRIAN: This is a Celtic name meaning "Strong". Under POL we find
        an
        > > adjective polda "strong, burly", from which we construct the name
        > > Poldon.
        > >
        > > I have sent you a image with the names written in Elvish and in
        > Elvish
        > > text. Please see if they are correct.
        > > Thanks.
        > > Phillippa
        >
        > You have to either send the pic directly to my address:
        > calwen.rudh@s... or to put the pic in the Files of this group.
        > Pics can't be attached to the posts.
        >
        > Lucy

        Sent you an email through my yahoo account with a jpeg attatchment of
        the file. I have yahoo instant messenger if you would like to add me
        as a friend.
        Phillippa
      • d_daniel_andries@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 2, 2004
          Teithant fouleviltemptress:
          >I am more concerned about "Phillippa" and "Brian" being
          >written in elvish than "I love you".

          There is an attested 'I love you' inQuenya: _melinyel_.

          >I used an online translator and one of my friends used
          >the Silmarillion and got "Phillippa" as "Nindë" and "Brian"
          >as "Maeglin".

          I suspect that you used an online name generator (like the one at Barrow
          Downs), not a translator. The name generators throw out random Quenya
          and Sindarin elements without regard to their meanings. I would put more
          trust in the Quenya Lapseparma.

          >...to be written in the text (or similar) seen on the ring
          >in LOTR -

          The tengwar font most closely resembling the script used for te
          inscription of the One Ring is Johan Winge's Tengwar Annatar Italic.

          Cuio mae, Danny.
        • Carl F. Hostetter
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 2, 2004
            On Apr 2, 2004, at 9:40 AM, d_daniel_andries@... wrote:

            > There is an attested 'I love you' inQuenya: _melinyel_.

            No, this is _not_ attested. The only attested forms are:

            _Atarinya tye-meláne_ 'My father, I love thee' (_Lost Road_ p. 61)

            and

            _A yonya inye tye-méla_ 'And I too, my son, I love thee' (ibid.)

            ho bios brachys, he de techne makre.
            Ars longa, vita brevis.