Re: Help needed - Elfscript.

  • fouleviltemptress
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2, 2004
      I am more concerned about "Phillippa" and "Brian" being written in
      elvish than "I love you".
      I used an online translator and one of my friends used the
      Silmarillion and got "Phillippa" as "Nindë" and "Brian" as "Maeglin".
      Is this correct, or yours?
      I'd like these names to be written in any elvish language-just tell me
      which one, and to be written in the text (or similar) seen on the ring
      in LOTR - I think the text is called Tengwar.

      I have used the oTT (online tengwar translator) and got an image
      saying "Nindë" and "Maeglin" in Tengwar text. I'll email this image
      to you, if you could check its correct, that'll be a great help.
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 2, 2004
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "fouleviltemptress"
        <fouleviltemptress@y...> wrote:
        > I am more concerned about "Phillippa" and "Brian" being written in
        > elvish than "I love you".
        > I used an online translator and one of my friends used the
        > Silmarillion and got "Phillippa" as "Nindë" and "Brian"
        as "Maeglin".
        > Is this correct, or yours?
        > I'd like these names to be written in any elvish language-just tell
        me
        > which one, and to be written in the text (or similar) seen on the
        ring
        > in LOTR - I think the text is called Tengwar.
        >
        > I have used the oTT (online tengwar translator) and got an image
        > saying "Nindë" and "Maeglin" in Tengwar text. I'll email this
        image
        > to you, if you could check its correct, that'll be a great help.

        I use this link:
        www.elvish.org/elm/names.html

        since this one is higly safe and trustworthy.

        Send a pic of whatever you want, it is your tattoo. :) But since e.g.
        Phillippa means _horse-lover_ and there is no _roch_ in the name
        you're giving, I suppose it's wrong.

        Lucy
      • fouleviltemptress
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 2, 2004
          > I use this link:
          > www.elvish.org/elm/names.html
          >
          > since this one is higly safe and trustworthy.
          >
          > Send a pic of whatever you want, it is your tattoo. :) But since e.
          g.
          > Phillippa means _horse-lover_ and there is no _roch_ in the name
          > you're giving, I suppose it's wrong.
          >
          > Lucy

          From the link you gave:
          PHILIPPA (f.) - feminine form of PHILIP (q.v.), thus Roccondilde or
          Roccondilme
          BRIAN (m.) - uncertain, however NWHAGEN gives Poldon
          BRIAN: This is a Celtic name meaning "Strong". Under POL we find an
          adjective polda "strong, burly", from which we construct the name
          Poldon.

          I have sent you a image with the names written in Elvish and in Elvish
          text. Please see if they are correct.
          Thanks.
          Phillippa
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 2, 2004
            <fouleviltemptress@y...> wrote:

            > > I use this link:
            > > www.elvish.org/elm/names.html
            > >
            > > since this one is higly safe and trustworthy.
            > >
            > > Send a pic of whatever you want, it is your tattoo. :) But since
            e.
            > g.
            > > Phillippa means _horse-lover_ and there is no _roch_ in the name
            > > you're giving, I suppose it's wrong.
            > >
            > > Lucy
            >
            > From the link you gave:
            > PHILIPPA (f.) - feminine form of PHILIP (q.v.), thus Roccondilde or
            > Roccondilme
            > BRIAN (m.) - uncertain, however NWHAGEN gives Poldon
            > BRIAN: This is a Celtic name meaning "Strong". Under POL we find an
            > adjective polda "strong, burly", from which we construct the name
            > Poldon.
            >
            > I have sent you a image with the names written in Elvish and in
            Elvish
            > text. Please see if they are correct.
            > Thanks.
            > Phillippa

            You have to either send the pic directly to my address:
            calwen.rudh@... or to put the pic in the Files of this group.
            Pics can't be attached to the posts.

            Lucy
          • fouleviltemptress
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 2, 2004
              > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "fouleviltemptress"
              > <fouleviltemptress@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > > I use this link:
              > > > www.elvish.org/elm/names.html
              > > >
              > > > since this one is higly safe and trustworthy.
              > > >
              > > > Send a pic of whatever you want, it is your tattoo. :) But since
              > e.
              > > g.
              > > > Phillippa means _horse-lover_ and there is no _roch_ in the name
              > > > you're giving, I suppose it's wrong.
              > > >
              > > > Lucy
              > >
              > > From the link you gave:
              > > PHILIPPA (f.) - feminine form of PHILIP (q.v.), thus Roccondilde
              or
              > > Roccondilme
              > > BRIAN (m.) - uncertain, however NWHAGEN gives Poldon
              > > BRIAN: This is a Celtic name meaning "Strong". Under POL we find
              an
              > > adjective polda "strong, burly", from which we construct the name
              > > Poldon.
              > >
              > > I have sent you a image with the names written in Elvish and in
              > Elvish
              > > text. Please see if they are correct.
              > > Thanks.
              > > Phillippa
              >
              > You have to either send the pic directly to my address:
              > calwen.rudh@s... or to put the pic in the Files of this group.
              > Pics can't be attached to the posts.
              >
              > Lucy

              Sent you an email through my yahoo account with a jpeg attatchment of
              the file. I have yahoo instant messenger if you would like to add me
              as a friend.
              Phillippa
            • d_daniel_andries@webtv.net
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 2, 2004
                Teithant fouleviltemptress:
                >I am more concerned about "Phillippa" and "Brian" being
                >written in elvish than "I love you".

                There is an attested 'I love you' inQuenya: _melinyel_.

                >I used an online translator and one of my friends used
                >the Silmarillion and got "Phillippa" as "Nindë" and "Brian"
                >as "Maeglin".

                I suspect that you used an online name generator (like the one at Barrow
                Downs), not a translator. The name generators throw out random Quenya
                and Sindarin elements without regard to their meanings. I would put more
                trust in the Quenya Lapseparma.

                >...to be written in the text (or similar) seen on the ring
                >in LOTR -

                The tengwar font most closely resembling the script used for te
                inscription of the One Ring is Johan Winge's Tengwar Annatar Italic.

                Cuio mae, Danny.
              • Carl F. Hostetter
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 2, 2004
                  On Apr 2, 2004, at 9:40 AM, d_daniel_andries@... wrote:

                  > There is an attested 'I love you' inQuenya: _melinyel_.

                  No, this is _not_ attested. The only attested forms are:

                  _Atarinya tye-meláne_ 'My father, I love thee' (_Lost Road_ p. 61)

                  and

                  _A yonya inye tye-méla_ 'And I too, my son, I love thee' (ibid.)

                  ho bios brachys, he de techne makre.
                  Ars longa, vita brevis.