Help needed - Elfscript.

  • fouleviltemptress
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1 1:50 PM
      I am wanting to get a necklace with or tattoo of my name, my partners
      name and "I love you" written in elfscript, as we are both big fans of
      LOTR and find elfscript a beautiful text.
      Unfortunately neither of us know elfscript to write it our selves.

      I used a translator and found:
      my name, "Phillippa Paterson" in Elven is "Nindë Eärfalas"
      my partners "Brian Ridley" is "Maeglin Sindanárië"
      "I love you" is "Amin mela lle".

      Could anyone please write these in Elfscript (Quenya, Sindarian, or
      whatever) for me? It would make a great annaversary gift and would
      make my day.

      thanks
      Phillippa
      xxxx

      Email me at fouleviltemptress@... or reply here.
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1 11:08 PM
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "fouleviltemptress"
        <fouleviltemptress@y...> wrote:
        > I am wanting to get a necklace with or tattoo of my name, my
        partners
        > name and "I love you" written in elfscript, as we are both big fans
        of
        > LOTR and find elfscript a beautiful text.
        > Unfortunately neither of us know elfscript to write it our selves.
        >
        > I used a translator and found:
        > my name, "Phillippa Paterson" in Elven is "Nindë Eärfalas"
        > my partners "Brian Ridley" is "Maeglin Sindanárië"
        > "I love you" is "Amin mela lle".
        >
        > Could anyone please write these in Elfscript (Quenya, Sindarian, or
        > whatever) for me? It would make a great annaversary gift and would
        > make my day.
        >
        > thanks
        > Phillippa

        To write your names in Tengwar is not such a big deal but I have to
        comment the 'originals': first, Elves had no second names and if they
        had a surname (nickname) it was rather a name that was describing
        themselves or their deeds. Very few of living men have a surname that
        accidentaly meets the character of a person. E.g. my second name
        means _bald_ but my hair is quite long :) So I propose to use only
        your first names, which are:

        From www.behindthename.com:
        BRIAN   m   Irish, English
        The meaning of this name is not known for certain but it is possibly
        related to the Old Celtic element bre meaning "hill", or by
        extension "high, noble". Brian Boru was an Irish king who thwarted
        Viking attempts to conquer Ireland in the 11th century. He was
        victorious in the Battle of Clontarf, but he himself was slain.

        PHILIPPA   f   English, German, Greek
        Feminine form of PHILIP ->

        PHILIP   m   English, Biblical
        From the Greek name Philippos which means "friend of horses",
        composed of the elements philos "friend" and hippos "horse". Saint
        Philip was an apostle in the New Testament. This was also the name of
        an early figure in the Christian church spoken of in Acts in the New
        Testament. The name was borne by five kings of Spain, six kings of
        France, and five kings of Macedon, including Philip II the father of
        Alexander the Great.

        All right, so we have Q Roccondildeor Roccondilme for Phillippa and
        Poldon (probably, not certain) for Brian; and by my reconstruction
        (editing is most welcome) Sindarin: *Rochiel, *Rochien, *Rochwen for
        Phillippa and *Brannon, *Brennil for Brian.

        The ugly sentense you indicated as 'I love you' is not real Elvish
        but Grelvish. Don't use it, I beg you.

        I would propose to leave your names (if you wish to have your full
        names) and 'I love you' in English and to transcribe it in Tengwar
        (or Runes but I suppose that you like the Tengwar better). I can't
        help you with Quenya and Sindarin is not that much attested (although
        I would have an idea how to express this) so it won't be much
        certain. What do you think? :))

        Hope I haven't put you out of humour :)

        Lucy
      • fouleviltemptress
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 2 2:12 AM
          I am more concerned about "Phillippa" and "Brian" being written in
          elvish than "I love you".
          I used an online translator and one of my friends used the
          Silmarillion and got "Phillippa" as "Nindë" and "Brian" as "Maeglin".
          Is this correct, or yours?
          I'd like these names to be written in any elvish language-just tell me
          which one, and to be written in the text (or similar) seen on the ring
          in LOTR - I think the text is called Tengwar.

          I have used the oTT (online tengwar translator) and got an image
          saying "Nindë" and "Maeglin" in Tengwar text. I'll email this image
          to you, if you could check its correct, that'll be a great help.
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 2 4:04 AM
            <fouleviltemptress@y...> wrote:
            > I am more concerned about "Phillippa" and "Brian" being written in
            > elvish than "I love you".
            > I used an online translator and one of my friends used the
            > Silmarillion and got "Phillippa" as "Nindë" and "Brian"
            as "Maeglin".
            > Is this correct, or yours?
            > I'd like these names to be written in any elvish language-just tell
            me
            > which one, and to be written in the text (or similar) seen on the
            ring
            > in LOTR - I think the text is called Tengwar.
            >
            > I have used the oTT (online tengwar translator) and got an image
            > saying "Nindë" and "Maeglin" in Tengwar text. I'll email this
            image
            > to you, if you could check its correct, that'll be a great help.

            I use this link:
            www.elvish.org/elm/names.html

            since this one is higly safe and trustworthy.

            Send a pic of whatever you want, it is your tattoo. :) But since e.g.
            Phillippa means _horse-lover_ and there is no _roch_ in the name
            you're giving, I suppose it's wrong.

            Lucy
          • fouleviltemptress
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 2 4:47 AM
              > I use this link:
              > www.elvish.org/elm/names.html
              >
              > since this one is higly safe and trustworthy.
              >
              > Send a pic of whatever you want, it is your tattoo. :) But since e.
              g.
              > Phillippa means _horse-lover_ and there is no _roch_ in the name
              > you're giving, I suppose it's wrong.
              >
              > Lucy

              From the link you gave:
              PHILIPPA (f.) - feminine form of PHILIP (q.v.), thus Roccondilde or
              Roccondilme
              BRIAN (m.) - uncertain, however NWHAGEN gives Poldon
              BRIAN: This is a Celtic name meaning "Strong". Under POL we find an
              adjective polda "strong, burly", from which we construct the name
              Poldon.

              I have sent you a image with the names written in Elvish and in Elvish
              text. Please see if they are correct.
              Thanks.
              Phillippa
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 2 4:51 AM
                <fouleviltemptress@y...> wrote:

                > > I use this link:
                > > www.elvish.org/elm/names.html
                > >
                > > since this one is higly safe and trustworthy.
                > >
                > > Send a pic of whatever you want, it is your tattoo. :) But since
                e.
                > g.
                > > Phillippa means _horse-lover_ and there is no _roch_ in the name
                > > you're giving, I suppose it's wrong.
                > >
                > > Lucy
                >
                > From the link you gave:
                > PHILIPPA (f.) - feminine form of PHILIP (q.v.), thus Roccondilde or
                > Roccondilme
                > BRIAN (m.) - uncertain, however NWHAGEN gives Poldon
                > BRIAN: This is a Celtic name meaning "Strong". Under POL we find an
                > adjective polda "strong, burly", from which we construct the name
                > Poldon.
                >
                > I have sent you a image with the names written in Elvish and in
                Elvish
                > text. Please see if they are correct.
                > Thanks.
                > Phillippa

                You have to either send the pic directly to my address:
                calwen.rudh@... or to put the pic in the Files of this group.
                Pics can't be attached to the posts.

                Lucy
              • fouleviltemptress
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 2 5:15 AM
                  > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "fouleviltemptress"
                  > <fouleviltemptress@y...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > I use this link:
                  > > > www.elvish.org/elm/names.html
                  > > >
                  > > > since this one is higly safe and trustworthy.
                  > > >
                  > > > Send a pic of whatever you want, it is your tattoo. :) But since
                  > e.
                  > > g.
                  > > > Phillippa means _horse-lover_ and there is no _roch_ in the name
                  > > > you're giving, I suppose it's wrong.
                  > > >
                  > > > Lucy
                  > >
                  > > From the link you gave:
                  > > PHILIPPA (f.) - feminine form of PHILIP (q.v.), thus Roccondilde
                  or
                  > > Roccondilme
                  > > BRIAN (m.) - uncertain, however NWHAGEN gives Poldon
                  > > BRIAN: This is a Celtic name meaning "Strong". Under POL we find
                  an
                  > > adjective polda "strong, burly", from which we construct the name
                  > > Poldon.
                  > >
                  > > I have sent you a image with the names written in Elvish and in
                  > Elvish
                  > > text. Please see if they are correct.
                  > > Thanks.
                  > > Phillippa
                  >
                  > You have to either send the pic directly to my address:
                  > calwen.rudh@s... or to put the pic in the Files of this group.
                  > Pics can't be attached to the posts.
                  >
                  > Lucy

                  Sent you an email through my yahoo account with a jpeg attatchment of
                  the file. I have yahoo instant messenger if you would like to add me
                  as a friend.
                  Phillippa
                • d_daniel_andries@webtv.net
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 2 6:40 AM
                    Teithant fouleviltemptress:
                    >I am more concerned about "Phillippa" and "Brian" being
                    >written in elvish than "I love you".

                    There is an attested 'I love you' inQuenya: _melinyel_.

                    >I used an online translator and one of my friends used
                    >the Silmarillion and got "Phillippa" as "Nindë" and "Brian"
                    >as "Maeglin".

                    I suspect that you used an online name generator (like the one at Barrow
                    Downs), not a translator. The name generators throw out random Quenya
                    and Sindarin elements without regard to their meanings. I would put more
                    trust in the Quenya Lapseparma.

                    >...to be written in the text (or similar) seen on the ring
                    >in LOTR -

                    The tengwar font most closely resembling the script used for te
                    inscription of the One Ring is Johan Winge's Tengwar Annatar Italic.

                    Cuio mae, Danny.
                  • Carl F. Hostetter
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 2 7:29 AM
                      On Apr 2, 2004, at 9:40 AM, d_daniel_andries@... wrote:

                      > There is an attested 'I love you' inQuenya: _melinyel_.

                      No, this is _not_ attested. The only attested forms are:

                      _Atarinya tye-meláne_ 'My father, I love thee' (_Lost Road_ p. 61)

                      and

                      _A yonya inye tye-méla_ 'And I too, my son, I love thee' (ibid.)

                      ho bios brachys, he de techne makre.
                      Ars longa, vita brevis.