need a Tengwar witticism

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 25, 2004
      This is a forwarded message from roquer_2000

      My friend is building a gaming table, and he wants to print something
      in Tengwar on it. I made the mistake of telling him that I lurk here,
      and now he needs my help, and I need your help. The text will be hand
      painted, but I also need to know where I could get the font.

      He wants the message to say:

      "You shouldn't be able to read this"
      or something along those lines

      again, I feel really dumb for asking for help with this, but any
      assistance is appreciated.

      -------

      You can have a look here for the download fonts:
      http://sweb.cz/Calwen.Rudh/Fonts&guides.htm

      I think maybe it would be fun for both of you to write the sentence
      on your own and to send us the result! :) - You can find several
      guides on how to write English in Tengwar on that page too. Anyways,
      I'll try to write the sentence myself (I am a beginner in English-
      Tengwar) and will post it later.

      Hope I helped a bit for the beginning.
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 26, 2004
        > I'll try to write the sentence myself (I am a beginner in English-
        > Tengwar) and will post it later.

        Here it comes! Please, be tolerant :)

      • roquer_2000
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 26, 2004
          > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "calwen76" <calwen.rudh@s...>
          wrote:
          > > I'll try to write the sentence myself (I am a beginner in English-
          > > Tengwar) and will post it later.
          >
          > Here it comes! Please, be tolerant :)

          > Lucy

          Thank you! I'll review those links over the weekend and give you my
          interpretation.
        • machhezan
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 28, 2004
            You've forgotten the _l_ of _should_. Except for that, your full mode
            sample looks good to me. Perhaps _óre_ would be better than _rómen_,
            but both are attested.

            In the vowel-tehtar sample, however, there's much confusion in the
            óretyelle letters: You've used both vilya and anna instead of vala for
            the _u_ in _you should_.

            The word _this_ doesn't require a short carrier.

            And the irregularity of using yanta for _y_ isn't found but in
            Sindarin while other 'general use' modes (English, Quenya) are
            attested to use the regular letter anna.

            Sorry for not being that tolerant...

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 29, 2004
              --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "machhezan" <machhezan@g...> wrote:
              > You've forgotten the _l_ of _should_. Except for that, your full
              mode
              > sample looks good to me. Perhaps _óre_ would be better than _rómen_,
              > but both are attested.
              >
              > In the vowel-tehtar sample, however, there's much confusion in the
              > óretyelle letters: You've used both vilya and anna instead of vala
              for
              > the _u_ in _you should_.
              >
              > The word _this_ doesn't require a short carrier.
              >
              > And the irregularity of using yanta for _y_ isn't found but in
              > Sindarin while other 'general use' modes (English, Quenya) are
              > attested to use the regular letter anna.
              >
              > Sorry for not being that tolerant...

              No problem, I appreciate your comments. I'm ashamed for so many
              mistakes. Haven't actually been so sure about the vowels-omatehtar.
              The sources I've checked show different usage and I was confused.
              Thanks a lot. Now, it should be okay, I hope.

              Thanks again. Lucy