Tibetan - An Inspiration for the Tengwar?

  • Abrigon
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 15, 2001
      http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Academy/9594/tibet.html

      It has much forms in common with Tengwar to including some of it's
      diacritical marks are the same, or close. Could also be an inspiration
      for calligraphy.

      Tibetan
    • John Cowan
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 16, 2001
        Abrigon scripsit:

        > aka Morgoth, I like how it rolls of the tongue. And from what I can
        > tell, it means like "Dark" "Goth(person)".

        Suure.

        Actually, it means "Black Enemy".

        --
        John Cowan http://www.ccil.org/~cowan cowan@...
        Please leave your values | Check your assumptions. In fact,
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 17, 2001
          Black Enemy, do you mean in the Elvish or do you mean in Gothic.

          The people who gave the name Goth to the language, but who were
          themselves very civilized once they settled down, but sadly most when
          they became christian, became Arian Christian, which to Catholics was
          a heresy, same with their cousins the Vandals, who have the same
          dislike in the western world. Even if it was the now Catholic
          Visigoths who fell to the might of Islam in Spain. The goths existed
          in the Crimea until around 1700, or so the stories go.

          Goth is a Eastern Germanic lingo, verus the English/German being
          Western Germanic, and Norse (and related tongues) as Northern
          Germanic.

          Mike
          In Sindarian/Quenya it did mean the Black Enemy/Dark Enemy, while his
          first name was Melkor, one who arises in might.. But after Feanor was
          mindly corrupted by him, as well as cause Feanor to revolt against the
          Vala, he was named Morgoth. Partially for his killing of Feanors
          father, as well as poisoning the one tree and like. so that the only
          light of the one tree in the world was the Silmarill.

          cowan@c...
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 31 11:12 PM
            We do need to remember Prof Tolkien was raised in part in South
            Africa, that has a large east indian population, atleast one time.. It
            is also where Gandhi learned a bit of his lawyer ways..

            Not likely the Prof and Ganghi knew each other, but they had some
            similar exposure in a same time/place..

            Also seen in one of my books, a script by another English professor
            that looks alot like the later Tengwar.. Not sure of it's origin and
            all..

            Mike
          • John Cowan
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 1, 2003
              abrigon scripsit:

              > We do need to remember Prof Tolkien was raised in part in South
              > Africa, that has a large east indian population, atleast one time.. It
              > is also where Gandhi learned a bit of his lawyer ways..

              Tolkien was born in S.A. and left there at age 4. Gandhi arrived at age
              23 and left at age 44. Not much common ground there!

              --
              John Cowan http://www.ccil.org/~cowan cowan@...
              To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all. There