Re: Devanagari: An Inspiration for the Tengwar?

  • Abrigon
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 15, 2001
      Universal Alphabet, I remember it now, yes it looks alot like Tengwar
      in form.

      Might check Uighur/Tibetan/Mongol/Manchu direction of the lingos that
      came form the one for Sanskrit/Prakit.

      It can be an interesting inspiration for a lingo, since it is up/down,
      and right to left. But the decenders can give you some nice
      calligraphy.

      Mike
    • Abrigon
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 15, 2001
        http://homepage1.nifty.com/hobbit/english/tolkien/tengwar/index.html

        Examples of Tengwar, most importantly, of Japanese (Sorry no Dev)

        http://www.omniglot.com/writing/devanagari.htm

        Has charts and all of the script, as well as a history, from the time
        of Brahmi.

        http://www.aczone.com/itrans/dvng/node3.html

        Another one, is aligned differently, but okay.
        This one is interesting, cause it shows the numerals, which are the
        origin of our "Arabic" numbers.

        http://cres20.anu.edu.au/~mccomas/devanagari.html

        Another one from a book.

        I do think I need to find my sources for Tibetan and other scriptos.

        I wish I had my "Elvish" books, lost it a while back in Canada.

        http://www.aczone.com/ilkeyb/ A keyboard program, might be interesting
        to see the source code and all, and see if it can be modified for
        Tengwar?

        Mike
      • Abrigon
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 15, 2001
          http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Academy/9594/tibet.html

          It has much forms in common with Tengwar to including some of it's
          diacritical marks are the same, or close. Could also be an inspiration
          for calligraphy.

          Tibetan
        • John Cowan
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 16, 2001
            Abrigon scripsit:

            > aka Morgoth, I like how it rolls of the tongue. And from what I can
            > tell, it means like "Dark" "Goth(person)".

            Suure.

            Actually, it means "Black Enemy".

            --
            John Cowan http://www.ccil.org/~cowan cowan@...
            Please leave your values | Check your assumptions. In fact,
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 17, 2001
              Black Enemy, do you mean in the Elvish or do you mean in Gothic.

              The people who gave the name Goth to the language, but who were
              themselves very civilized once they settled down, but sadly most when
              they became christian, became Arian Christian, which to Catholics was
              a heresy, same with their cousins the Vandals, who have the same
              dislike in the western world. Even if it was the now Catholic
              Visigoths who fell to the might of Islam in Spain. The goths existed
              in the Crimea until around 1700, or so the stories go.

              Goth is a Eastern Germanic lingo, verus the English/German being
              Western Germanic, and Norse (and related tongues) as Northern
              Germanic.

              Mike
              In Sindarian/Quenya it did mean the Black Enemy/Dark Enemy, while his
              first name was Melkor, one who arises in might.. But after Feanor was
              mindly corrupted by him, as well as cause Feanor to revolt against the
              Vala, he was named Morgoth. Partially for his killing of Feanors
              father, as well as poisoning the one tree and like. so that the only
              light of the one tree in the world was the Silmarill.

              cowan@c...
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 31, 2003
                We do need to remember Prof Tolkien was raised in part in South
                Africa, that has a large east indian population, atleast one time.. It
                is also where Gandhi learned a bit of his lawyer ways..

                Not likely the Prof and Ganghi knew each other, but they had some
                similar exposure in a same time/place..

                Also seen in one of my books, a script by another English professor
                that looks alot like the later Tengwar.. Not sure of it's origin and
                all..

                Mike
              • John Cowan
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 1 3:07 AM
                  abrigon scripsit:

                  > We do need to remember Prof Tolkien was raised in part in South
                  > Africa, that has a large east indian population, atleast one time.. It
                  > is also where Gandhi learned a bit of his lawyer ways..

                  Tolkien was born in S.A. and left there at age 4. Gandhi arrived at age
                  23 and left at age 44. Not much common ground there!

                  --
                  John Cowan http://www.ccil.org/~cowan cowan@...
                  To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all. There