Re: About dates

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 9, 2004
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "eamner" <eamner@t...> wrote:
      > Thanks for your kind answer. But, would you suggest any 'method'
      for
      > adapting the dates of middle earth to fit in our age in order to
      > translate, for example, this year? (2004). I know 2004 in middle
      > earth is not the same that 2004 to us, but could there be
      > any 'method' to adapt it? I just need an *aproximated* solution...
      > My final goal -yes, this could seem a little cheesy- is this: I'm
      > getting married in a few months, and, I'd like to write in our
      rings
      > my name and my girlfriend's. I'd also like to write the date of the
      > wedding.
      > I knew from this page: http://www.elvish.org/elm/names/a.html,
      that
      > our 'quenya' names would be something like Ertur (Eric) and Vanime
      > (Kenna)... Using the "Yatt" program I wrote something like this: \-
      > `V61U6 2{( yE5%t$-\ using tengwar fonts, it'd say "Ertur and
      Vanime".
      > Please correct me if I'm wrong and thanks again.

      Well, to be honest, I know nothing more about the counting system. So
      I'm sorry, I can't help you with this. Maybe some of the Elfling guys
      could (groups.yahoo.com/group/elfling) or have a look in both
      Elfscript and Elfling FAQs.

      Concerning the names: If you want the inscription in Quenya, let's
      use _Ertur ar Vanime_ (I substituted English 'and' with Quenya _ar_).
      I uploaded the picture of it here:
      groups.yahoo.com/group/elfscript/files/calwen76/eamner.gif

      Hope this helps.

      Lucy
    • eamner
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 9, 2004
        Thanks Lucy, it really helps me. The names are exactly the way I
        thought... I just made one small modification: I changed the "ar",
        and instead of it I used the shorthand for "and" (I learned this from
        this page: http://hem.passagen.se/mansb/at/tengwar.htm ). I uploaded
        my version here:

        ...I hope it's right...
        Thanks again for your help. I'll continue searching info about the
        dates...

        eamner.