About dates

  • eamner
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 8, 2004
      Hello. I'm new to this group, so excuse me if this is the wrong place
      to post this question.
      I'd like to know how to write dates in Quenya (for example:
      01/05/2004).
      Thanks in advance...

      eamner.
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 9, 2004
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "eamner" <eamner@t...> wrote:
        > Hello. I'm new to this group, so excuse me if this is the wrong
        place
        > to post this question.
        > I'd like to know how to write dates in Quenya (for example:
        > 01/05/2004).
        > Thanks in advance...
        >
        > eamner.

        Yap, this group discusses writing systems. But to answer your
        question, don't forget that in Middle-earth there are
        different 'reckoning' systems, e.g. today is 17. Suulime in the
        United Kingdom and 27. Coire in Imladris. :) For more info, have a
        look at the Appendix D in the Lord of the Rings/ Return of the King -
        Calendars.

        Lucy
      • eamner
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 9, 2004
          Thanks for your kind answer. But, would you suggest any 'method' for
          adapting the dates of middle earth to fit in our age in order to
          translate, for example, this year? (2004). I know 2004 in middle
          earth is not the same that 2004 to us, but could there be
          any 'method' to adapt it? I just need an *aproximated* solution...
          My final goal -yes, this could seem a little cheesy- is this: I'm
          getting married in a few months, and, I'd like to write in our rings
          my name and my girlfriend's. I'd also like to write the date of the
          wedding.
          I knew from this page: http://www.elvish.org/elm/names/a.html, that
          our 'quenya' names would be something like Ertur (Eric) and Vanime
          (Kenna)... Using the "Yatt" program I wrote something like this: \-
          `V61U6 2{( yE5%t$-\ using tengwar fonts, it'd say "Ertur and Vanime".
          Please correct me if I'm wrong and thanks again.

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 9, 2004
            --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "eamner" <eamner@t...> wrote:
            > Thanks for your kind answer. But, would you suggest any 'method'
            for
            > adapting the dates of middle earth to fit in our age in order to
            > translate, for example, this year? (2004). I know 2004 in middle
            > earth is not the same that 2004 to us, but could there be
            > any 'method' to adapt it? I just need an *aproximated* solution...
            > My final goal -yes, this could seem a little cheesy- is this: I'm
            > getting married in a few months, and, I'd like to write in our
            rings
            > my name and my girlfriend's. I'd also like to write the date of the
            > wedding.
            > I knew from this page: http://www.elvish.org/elm/names/a.html,
            that
            > our 'quenya' names would be something like Ertur (Eric) and Vanime
            > (Kenna)... Using the "Yatt" program I wrote something like this: \-
            > `V61U6 2{( yE5%t$-\ using tengwar fonts, it'd say "Ertur and
            Vanime".
            > Please correct me if I'm wrong and thanks again.

            Well, to be honest, I know nothing more about the counting system. So
            I'm sorry, I can't help you with this. Maybe some of the Elfling guys
            could (groups.yahoo.com/group/elfling) or have a look in both
            Elfscript and Elfling FAQs.

            Concerning the names: If you want the inscription in Quenya, let's
            use _Ertur ar Vanime_ (I substituted English 'and' with Quenya _ar_).
            I uploaded the picture of it here:
            groups.yahoo.com/group/elfscript/files/calwen76/eamner.gif

            Hope this helps.

            Lucy
          • eamner
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 9, 2004
              Thanks Lucy, it really helps me. The names are exactly the way I
              thought... I just made one small modification: I changed the "ar",
              and instead of it I used the shorthand for "and" (I learned this from
              this page: http://hem.passagen.se/mansb/at/tengwar.htm ). I uploaded
              my version here:

              ...I hope it's right...
              Thanks again for your help. I'll continue searching info about the
              dates...

              eamner.