Re: [elfscript] sindarin classic

  • Melroch 'Aestan
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 8, 2004
      At 08:31 8.3.2004, d_daniel_andries@... wrote:
      >Teithant Melroch:
      >>d_daniel_andries@... wrote:
      >> > In full writing modes, 'y' is written with
      >> >silme nuquerna,
      >>Really? Where in Tolkien have you seen that?
      >
      >'The Lord of the Rings', Appendix E:
      >"The West-gate inscription illustrates a mode of 'full writing' with the
      >vowels represented by separate letters. All the vocalic letters used in
      >Sindarin are shown. The use of No. 30 as a sign for vocalic y may be
      >noted..." Tengwa No. 30 is, of course, silme nuquerna. Furthermore, the
      >word 'mhellyn' in the King's Letter, version I ("Sauron Defeated"),
      >appears to be spelt with silme nuquerna. Silme nuquerna used to
      >represent 'y' in two different Sindarin full writing modes suggests to
      >me that this was the common practice.
      >
      >Cuio mae, Danny.

      Of course, though I think it was originally an Uure with subscript
      long carrier -- to indicate i-umlaut. When writing Swedish I have
      extended this use by having esse nuquerna for _รถ_.

      I misinterpreted you because I thought you were talking of
      **consonantal** _y_ [j] when writing English. Musta been tired!

      /BP 8^)
      --
      B.Philip Jonsson mailto:melrochX@... (delete X)
      A h-ammen ledin i phith! \ \
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 8, 2004
        "legolas_greenleaf303" wrote:
        > im geussing sindarin classic is basically sindarin mode of
        > beleriand and quenya mixed

        There are three Sindarin modes attested by Tolkien. They differ
        basicly in the use of the third or the fourth tengwar series for
        k-sounds (k, g, ch, ng) and in the representation of the vowels. One
        of these modes is given a name by Tolkien himself, the "mode of
        Beleriand", which is the mode of the inscription of the west gate of
        Moria. It uses the third consonant series for the k-sounds and
        represents the vowels by full letters.

        The other two Sindarin modes aren't explicitly named by Tolkien
        himself. They're both attested in the three versions of the "King's
        Letter". They both use the fourth tengwar series for the k-sounds, but
        they differ in the representation of the vowels: The earlier versions
        of the "King's Letter" represent the vowels with full letters, while
        the final version represents them with tehtar.

        As you see, there's no Sindarin mode by Tolkien that uses the third
        consonant series for the k-sounds AND represents the vowels with
        tehtar, and neither is there a mode that were called "sindarin
        classic". So you're right that this mode is a (post-tolkienian)
        mixture of the mode of Beleriand and the classical mode of Quenya.

        > i just dont get the double letters and the 3 ys anna yanta
        > and the vowel

        I think the files of Per Lindberg mentioned by Elimloth are the best
        ready-made online resource for the Sindarin modes and will answer most
        of your questions. Though they have a little gap concerning the "3
        ys": In his description of the Sindarin tehtar mode, Per covers them
        almost. The vowel _y_, the second part of diphthong _-i_, and the
        syllable-initial _i-_, but his description of the mode of Beleriand
        lacks the latter. It's the long carrier.