Re: Sauron and the mode on the One Ring

  • machhezan
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 7, 2004
      Carl F. Hostetter wrote:
      > If I understand your point correctly, I think it is the ambiguity of
      > speech that _attracted_ Melkor and his ilk to the potency of
      > language as a tool.

      Through language, he can't force people's "heart", but only their
      thoughts. I believe he'd prefer a tool that allowed him to force
      people's "heart" directly, but there's no such tool by Eru's design of
      the world. So I think he dislikes language because it doesn't allow
      total control. Of course, he employs it masterly because it still
      allows much control, but nonetheless he dislikes it, I daresay.

      The elves appreciated language highly, not as a tool, but by itself. I
      believe that this is testified by their language lore: poetry,
      linguistics, writing, because by my opinion this lore necessarily
      requires appreciation of language by itself. Since the evil lack
      appreciation of language by itself, I think that they don't have any
      interest in language lore. So I think that neither Morgoth nor Sauron
      would learn the tengwar unless it'd serve their purpose of control. I
      perfectly agree with Carl:

      > And I daresay that evil despises everything except that which it
      > find useful for its own purposes, at any given time.

      So if we want to speculate where Sauron could have learnt the tengwar,
      we must ask: Where could it have served his purposes? If the elves
      used the tengwar for secret messages in the war of the jewels, then
      the tengwar would have served Sauron's purpose. We only know that
      Sauron required the tengwar for the forging of the One Ring. Could the
      tengwar have served him in some earlier sorcery? We don't know.
      Neither do we know whether the tengwar served Morgoth to gain the
      confidence of the Noldor. Could the tengwar have served to control his
      slaves? I don't recall any evidence of it in the Lord of the Rings,
      and I think he'd manage without writing.