Transcribing A Phrase into Quenya - can anyone help me?

  • displaced_gurl
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2004
      Hi. I just joined this ring in hopes that someone can help me
      translate a phrase. I've
      been doing numerous research on the language that was used on the
      ring in LOTR
      and have found out that it is either Tengwar or Quenya. I'm not sure
      how different the
      two are, but if you can tell me which one it is, I would appreciate
      it!

      Also, I've been looking to transcribe "What Goes Around, Comes
      Around" in the
      language on the ring for a tattoo I'm getting. I'm very excited
      because I love the
      romantic feel of the High Elven language but I want to be sure what
      I'm tattooing
      permanently on my skin are the right words!

      Can anyone help me write the fonts or give me any other resources to
      look into?
      Please email me at displaced_gurl@... or reply! Thank you so
      much!
    • machhezan
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 5, 2004
        displaced_gurl wrote:
        > I've
        > been doing numerous research on the language that was used on the
        > ring in LOTR
        > and have found out that it is either Tengwar or Quenya. I'm not sure
        > how different the
        > two are,

        They're as different as, for instance, Spanish is different from the
        Latin alphabet, since Quenya is a language and the tengwar (literally:
        'letters') is a script.

        > but if you can tell me which one it is, I would appreciate
        > it!

        The language is the Black Speech of Sauron, the script is the Elvish
        one, tengwar (which is the point we're currently discussing: how could
        the evil use Elvish letters).

        > Also, I've been looking to transcribe "What Goes Around, Comes
        > Around" in the
        > language on the ring for a tattoo I'm getting.

        We hardly know any more of Black Speech than the Ring inscription, but
        anyway, you're looking for a translation to an Elvish tongue, most
        probably to Quenya. I don't know Quenya, but I suppose that the phrase
        you want to have is almost impossible to translate since it's the use
        of the word-pairs 'go around' and 'come around' that makes it so
        special and interesting, and such word-pairs are very specific of the
        English language. I've been trying to figure out what your phrase
        would mean in my mother tongue, German, but I didn't succeed. Of
        course I can translate each word, but I still don't know what you
        wanted to express.

        On this list, we can help you to transcribe the English phrase with
        Elvish letters (after all, Tolkien himself used these letters more
        often for English than for any Elvish tongue).

        If you want to have it in an Elvish language, then you should rather
        ask in the elfling list, but make sure to check out their FAQ first.

      • displaced_gurl
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 8, 2004
          Thanks for the response. The tattoo artist who is doing the tattoo for me is also,
          surprisingly, a Tolkien fan so he's going to help me translate the phrase too!

          If the phrase is translated using Elvish letters (you mean, by using Tengwar, is that
          right?), would the phrase be slightly longer? And in your opinion, would the phrase
          appear appropriate using Elvish letters?

          I guess the expression of the phrase I'm going for is karmic. I'd like to have the tattoo
          transcribed appropraitely without having it turn out awkward.

          I will check out other the list you have suggested.

          Thanks much!