thanks for the reply and helpful info! Re: [elfscript] Re: Trying to transcribe, need help with accent type and placement for vowels

  • machhezan
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 26, 2004
      Melroch 'Aestan wrote:
      > At 20:39 23.2.2004, machhezan wrote:
      >
      > >Unfortunately, many descriptions of English tengwar propagate such
      > >an impure spelling. Tolkien, however, used either solidly
      > >orthographic tengwar modes or rædicæli fonetik tengwar mowdz dhæt
      > >ar veri difrent from orthogræfik Inglish. He never stuck half-way
      > >inbetween.
      >
      > Except WRT the spelling of _c_ pronounced /s/ and _g_ pronounced
      > /dZ/, which were spelled as if they were written _s, j_.

      I once searched for <g> spelt as if it were <j>, but I found none, so
      I think you've been cheated by the propagation of impure tengwar
      spellings. The letter <c> pronounced /s/ is represented with a letter
      by itself, silme nuquerna (I don't remember if there are exceptions),
      but when pronounced /k/, then it's spelt as if it were <k>.

      > He also
      > tended to distinguish /s/ and /z/ even where orthography doesn't.

      In certain texts, that's true. Still, even these texts are
      unambiguously orthographic. I think there are two different kinds of
      minor deviations from traditional spellings: (a) deviations that are
      based in peculiarities of the Roman alphabet; (b) deviations that are
      really based on pronunciation.

      With regard to (a), peculiarities of the Roman alphabet: Some signs of
      the Roman alphabet correspond to several sounds, e.g. <th>, while some
      sounds correspond to several signs, e.g. <k, c, q>. With regard to (b)
      , I know only of three cases: The final <s> sometimes written as if it
      were <z> in certain samples; the word _war_ spelt as if it were _wor_
      as if it were <v> (perhaps only in the abbreviation of _of_). The
      range of all the three is very restricted.