Re: [elfscript] Tengwar on back of milk carton

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 9, 2001

      Teithant DDanielA@...

      > The second word is obviously "Daedeloth" misspelled as "daedheloth". The
      first word looks like a hypothetical spelling of "gϋd", but if this is
      an Eldarin word, I am unfamiliar with it. If it is to represent the
      English word "good", I find it odd to be placed with 'Daedeloth'. The
      calligraphy is rather nice, whatever it's meant to say!

      * ah! it is the inscription on Aragorn's hunting knife.. guud might be a reconstructed word (of course).. I am thinking of CE *ngootee, whatever it might mean :)

    • Westwood
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 9, 2001
        --- In elfscript@y..., DDanielA@w... wrote:
        > The second word is obviously "Daedeloth" misspelled as "daedheloth". The
        > first word looks like a hypothetical spelling of "gûd", but if this is
        > an Eldarin word, I am unfamiliar with it. If it is to represent the
        > English word "good", I find it odd to be placed with 'Daedeloth'. The
        > calligraphy is rather nice, whatever it's meant to say!

        A Sindarin _-gud_ with the meaning "enemy" appears in _Thuringud_
        ("Hidden Foe", WJ pp.256, 299). But the isolated form would rather be
        *_cûd_, I think, since this word must reflect a Common Eldarin *_kôtô_,
        derived from the base KOT- "strive, quarrel". It is thus a variant of
        _coth_ "enmity, enemy", which is cited in "The Etymologies" as the
        second element of _Morgoth_ ("Black Foe").

        Suilad mhilui
        /Björn Fromén