Re: Is there actually a verb for LOVE in sindarin?

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 20, 2004
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "pablo_andreso" <pablo_andres@g...>
      > Example if i want to say MY LOVE, I would say Meleth nín, but if i
      > want to say I love you, i would have to say: Im Melon???
      > As Im stands for I, Melo the stem for Love and N the suffix for you?
      > Having some troubles with this, so appreciate help.

      Hello and welcome!
      Just for your info: this group is discussing the writing systems like
      Tengwar and Cirth, not the grammar and languages :o) But for this
      once...

      The 'stem' is actually _MEL-_ (I guess this is the only thing we have
      from Etym:372 except for _melo_ 'to love' given in VT45:34 but this
      one was struck out - unless we find something new at the entry _SER-_
      in VT46), now you add the pronominal ending _-on_ for 'I' > _melon_
      means 'I love'; _le_ is 'you' > _le melon_ or if you go with _SER-_ >
      _le seron_ although I don't believe the Elves would say such kind of
      thing only like this. So this _le melon/seron_ is rather a Neo-
      Sindarin + Mannish expression. :o)