Re: [elfscript] Tengwar on back of milk carton

  • DDanielA@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 8, 2001
      The second word is obviously "Daedeloth" misspelled as "daedheloth". The
      first word looks like a hypothetical spelling of "gûd", but if this is
      an Eldarin word, I am unfamiliar with it. If it is to represent the
      English word "good", I find it odd to be placed with 'Daedeloth'. The
      calligraphy is rather nice, whatever it's meant to say!

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 9, 2001

        Teithant DDanielA@...

        > The second word is obviously "Daedeloth" misspelled as "daedheloth". The
        first word looks like a hypothetical spelling of "gϋd", but if this is
        an Eldarin word, I am unfamiliar with it. If it is to represent the
        English word "good", I find it odd to be placed with 'Daedeloth'. The
        calligraphy is rather nice, whatever it's meant to say!

        * ah! it is the inscription on Aragorn's hunting knife.. guud might be a reconstructed word (of course).. I am thinking of CE *ngootee, whatever it might mean :)

      • Westwood
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 9, 2001
          --- In elfscript@y..., DDanielA@w... wrote:
          > The second word is obviously "Daedeloth" misspelled as "daedheloth". The
          > first word looks like a hypothetical spelling of "gûd", but if this is
          > an Eldarin word, I am unfamiliar with it. If it is to represent the
          > English word "good", I find it odd to be placed with 'Daedeloth'. The
          > calligraphy is rather nice, whatever it's meant to say!

          A Sindarin _-gud_ with the meaning "enemy" appears in _Thuringud_
          ("Hidden Foe", WJ pp.256, 299). But the isolated form would rather be
          *_cûd_, I think, since this word must reflect a Common Eldarin *_kôtô_,
          derived from the base KOT- "strive, quarrel". It is thus a variant of
          _coth_ "enmity, enemy", which is cited in "The Etymologies" as the
          second element of _Morgoth_ ("Black Foe").

          Suilad mhilui
          /Björn Fromén