Re: [elfscript] Need to find the correct writing of a word

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 17, 2004
      > To anyone who could possibly help....I'm sure this comes up alot, I would
      like to get a tatoo of the word music in High Elvish script...I think
      Quenyan? I need to see what it would look like written in elvish script and
      I have to give this to the artist very soon. Can anyone help me?

      It would have been easier to help you if your wording had been a little
      clearer. Like so many before you, you don't really specify whether you just
      want the English word written out in "High Elvish script" (there is not
      really any script that is specifically High Elvish, though there is a mode
      of High-Elven spelling), or whether you want the English word TRANSLATED
      into Elvish as well as written out in its supposed "native" Elvish script.
      Taking your request as it stands, you seem to ask us to write the English
      word "music" using the same principles of spelling as in High-Elven. This
      would raise new questions that you don't answer; are we to use a spelling
      based on English orthography or English pronunciation? In the latter case,
      we would have to transcribe "my├║sik"; in the former case, we would simply
      write the normal Tengwar equivalents of the English letters M-U-S-I-C.

      But I suspect that what you really want is 1) a Quenya _translation_ of the
      word "music" and 2) this Quenya word written out in Tengwar. If so, you may
      try the word _lindale_ (as in Ainulindale, "Music of the Ainur"). The
      following code produces "Lindale" if you use any of the standard Tengwar
      fonts (I used to recommend Parmaite, but I must agree with other
      contributors to this forum that Annatar is probably even better):

      jT2#jR

      - Helge Fauskanger