Re: [elfscript] Re: Tengwar Calligrapy

  • Harri Perälä
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 18, 2004
      machhezan wrote:
      > I think your arguments are very debatable.

      I can agree with that!

      > shapes are too similar to each other. I don't think that's an obstacle
      > for a script to become fluently used, consider e.g. the Arabian script

      Point taken. I guess my view is a bit narrow.

      > cultural identity: The Latin alphabet is used where the catholic
      > church is important; the tengwar are used where the Elvish knowledge
      > is important.

      I do not doubt that the tengwar would maintain their position in the
      scenario Tolkien describes. I do wonder, though, whether some letters
      might develop notably different alternative forms. The Latin alphabet,
      after all, went as far as to develop a full set of minuscule letters.
      The starting point was quite different, of course. I am not aware that
      Tolkien would support this idea, either; even in the picture of the last
      page of the book of Mazarbul I have seen, the letter shapes in "they are
      coming" are fairly conservative.

      Harri Perälä