Tengwar on back of milk carton

  • Johan Winge
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 8, 2001
      This is two words in tengwar that I found on the back of a milk carton some
      days ago. The text was about Aragorn, but on the upper right corner these
      tengwar was written:
      http://home.student.uu.se/jowi4905/milkteng.jpg

      What do you think it is supposed to mean?

      -- Johan Winge
    • DDanielA@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 8, 2001
        The second word is obviously "Daedeloth" misspelled as "daedheloth". The
        first word looks like a hypothetical spelling of "gûd", but if this is
        an Eldarin word, I am unfamiliar with it. If it is to represent the
        English word "good", I find it odd to be placed with 'Daedeloth'. The
        calligraphy is rather nice, whatever it's meant to say!

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 9, 2001

          Teithant DDanielA@...

          > The second word is obviously "Daedeloth" misspelled as "daedheloth". The
          first word looks like a hypothetical spelling of "gϋd", but if this is
          an Eldarin word, I am unfamiliar with it. If it is to represent the
          English word "good", I find it odd to be placed with 'Daedeloth'. The
          calligraphy is rather nice, whatever it's meant to say!

          * ah! it is the inscription on Aragorn's hunting knife.. guud might be a reconstructed word (of course).. I am thinking of CE *ngootee, whatever it might mean :)

        • Westwood
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 9, 2001
            --- In elfscript@y..., DDanielA@w... wrote:
            > The second word is obviously "Daedeloth" misspelled as "daedheloth". The
            > first word looks like a hypothetical spelling of "gûd", but if this is
            > an Eldarin word, I am unfamiliar with it. If it is to represent the
            > English word "good", I find it odd to be placed with 'Daedeloth'. The
            > calligraphy is rather nice, whatever it's meant to say!

            A Sindarin _-gud_ with the meaning "enemy" appears in _Thuringud_
            ("Hidden Foe", WJ pp.256, 299). But the isolated form would rather be
            *_cûd_, I think, since this word must reflect a Common Eldarin *_kôtô_,
            derived from the base KOT- "strive, quarrel". It is thus a variant of
            _coth_ "enmity, enemy", which is cited in "The Etymologies" as the
            second element of _Morgoth_ ("Black Foe").

            Suilad mhilui
            /Björn Fromén