Two Towers Extended DVD Title Menu Transcription

  • aranelwen
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2004
      I tried deciphering this the other day, just because I could :)

      Quenya style: read consonant then vowel on top.
      'the' is rendered as extended Ando.

      Line 1: the worl [missing 'd'] is changing [: used as full stop].
      [next few tengwar are a bit unclear: Aha I assume = 'wh' ,then
      what looks like 'o' or 'u' with inderdot? I read this in context as:]
      (who) [Anca ?+as] (has) the strength to stand up [ agai +Silme
      Nuquerna with ~ on top = 'ns' (is this a contested use?) t ,so:]
      (against)

      Line 2: both saruman nd (and) sauron nd (and) the union of the
      two towers?

      I wonder who wrote this?
      Can anyone help me out with the clarity of what I assume to
      transcribe as 'who has' ?

      It's a bit confusing to find that most of the tengwar I find to
      transcribe are not by J.R.R.T., but I'm happy to be making sense
      of what I come across.
      I'm also fighting the fact that I taught myself to write with
      Tengwar and ended up using a pidgin-Elvish for years! Writing
      letters to my beloved and later, for Live Roleplay (and I wrote
      reams! An 'in-character' diary recording the events and plans
      after each game. There were six such games. I just think it's
      beautiful to write with!)

      Aranelwen~

      P.S. I am still searching for a translation for 'grace'. Help!
      Cuio Mae
    • d_daniel_andries@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2004
        Teithant Aranelwen:
        >P.S. I am still searching for a translation for 'grace'. Help!

        We have no attested word for 'grace' in Sindarin, but we do in Quenya.
        Tolkien translated 'full of grace' ('gratia plena') as _quanta Eruanno_
        in his Quenya rendering of the Ave Maria. Therefore Quenya for 'grace'
        is _Eruanna_, literally 'God-gift'. (Maybe *_Eruant_ in Sindarin?)

        Cuio mae, Danny.
      • aranelwen
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2004
          > We have no attested word for 'grace' in Sindarin, but we do in
          Quenya.
          > Tolkien translated 'full of grace' ('gratia plena') as _quanta
          Eruanno_
          > in his Quenya rendering of the Ave Maria. Therefore Quenya for
          'grace'
          > is _Eruanna_, literally 'God-gift'. (Maybe *_Eruant_ in
          Sindarin?)

          > Cuio mae, Danny.

          Hannon le!
          That made me smile, as now my brother and I have the same
          name in Sindarin! What a coincidence :)

          Aranelwen~
          (or more fully: Aranel Pathrannen Eruant : should be Princess full
          of Grace)