Re: title page inscription (2 files added)

  • machhezan
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2004
      Hi Elachor

      I like your transcriptions, they stay close with the attested
      examples of orthographic tehtar-modes. Their easy to read, and
      couldn't find but some minor corrections, many of them probably only
      misspellings.

      A general remark: You've represented every <r> with óre. This isn't
      attested but in full-writing modes, and these modes represent <w>
      with rómen. There's no mode where every <r> is represented with óre
      and <w> with vala (I have no idea why). So I'd recommend you to use
      the normal alternation between óre and rómen.

      eldarion: the a-tehta is misplaced; it reads _eladrion_

      jeffrey: I wouldn't write jeffree, but jeffrey, with e-tehta on anna

      herein: the dot below is missing; it reads _herin_

      two: the modified u-tehta for the following _w_ is missing; it reads
      _to_

      their: anto should be used, vowel combinations that end on <i> are
      attested to be written with anna (just like combinations that end on
      <y>)

      deeds: the s-curl should be used for the final <s>

      war: the spelling <wor> is attested, but I'd still recommend to
      spell it <war>

      of the: extended umbar, not extended ando

      sail: use anna as in _their_

      world: you're written <wurld>, not <world>

      I'm not sure any more whether _and_ is written with a dot below in
      these kind of modes, and I don't have the texts at hand.

      suilaid
      mach
      http://machhezan.tripod.com
    • Johan Winge
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2004
        On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 08:15:21 -0000, manesero_elf <manesero_elf@...>
        wrote:

        > top:
        > The Eldarion translated from the Grey Book of Mithlond by Jeffrey
        > Lloyd Rosenfeld.

        It says "eladrion", i.e. the a-tehta should be above óre instead of ando.

        > bottom:
        > Herein is set forth the tale of two Elves and their deeds during the
        > War of the Ring and thereafter, before they set sail for Valinor and
        > departed from this world.

        A dot below rómen in "herein" perhaps? In "Elves" the s-hook obscures the
        underdot, a miss in the design of the font. In "world" you have used a
        hook open to the left. Is there any special reason for that?

        > Many thanx to Johan Winge for the Tengwar Annatar font. I just
        > changed the inscription to it from Tengwar Paramaitë a moment ago
        > because it looks much better.

        I'm glad you liked it! :-) Note though, that some tehtar ideally should be
        changed when switching between the fonts. I'm thinking especially of
        lambe, which in Tengwar Annatar is wide enough to bear the leftmost
        shifted tehtar; this is most evident with the a-tehta, less so with the
        e-tehta.

        Regards,
        Johan Winge