title page inscription (2 files added)

  • manesero_elf
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2004
      Suilad,

      I just added two files entitled "top_inscription.jpg"
      and "bottom_inscription.jpg" to the files section. I was wondering
      if anyone more learnéd in the writing of the Elves could tell me if
      they indeed says what I intend it to. (Note that it is done in
      J.R.R. Tolkien's English mode, but that certain aspects are
      borrowed, such as the 'y' tengwa, from Christopher Tolkien's English
      mode):

      top:
      The Eldarion translated from the Grey Book of Mithlond by Jeffrey
      Lloyd Rosenfeld.

      bottom:
      Herein is set forth the tale of two Elves and their deeds during the
      War of the Ring and thereafter, before they set sail for Valinor and
      departed from this world.

      Many thanx to Johan Winge for the Tengwar Annatar font. I just
      changed the inscription to it from Tengwar Paramaitë a moment ago
      because it looks much better. Thanx again all.

      Elachor
    • machhezan
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2004
        Hi Elachor

        I like your transcriptions, they stay close with the attested
        examples of orthographic tehtar-modes. Their easy to read, and
        couldn't find but some minor corrections, many of them probably only
        misspellings.

        A general remark: You've represented every <r> with óre. This isn't
        attested but in full-writing modes, and these modes represent <w>
        with rómen. There's no mode where every <r> is represented with óre
        and <w> with vala (I have no idea why). So I'd recommend you to use
        the normal alternation between óre and rómen.

        eldarion: the a-tehta is misplaced; it reads _eladrion_

        jeffrey: I wouldn't write jeffree, but jeffrey, with e-tehta on anna

        herein: the dot below is missing; it reads _herin_

        two: the modified u-tehta for the following _w_ is missing; it reads
        _to_

        their: anto should be used, vowel combinations that end on <i> are
        attested to be written with anna (just like combinations that end on
        <y>)

        deeds: the s-curl should be used for the final <s>

        war: the spelling <wor> is attested, but I'd still recommend to
        spell it <war>

        of the: extended umbar, not extended ando

        sail: use anna as in _their_

        world: you're written <wurld>, not <world>

        I'm not sure any more whether _and_ is written with a dot below in
        these kind of modes, and I don't have the texts at hand.

        suilaid
        mach
        http://machhezan.tripod.com
      • Johan Winge
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2004
          On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 08:15:21 -0000, manesero_elf <manesero_elf@...>
          wrote:

          > top:
          > The Eldarion translated from the Grey Book of Mithlond by Jeffrey
          > Lloyd Rosenfeld.

          It says "eladrion", i.e. the a-tehta should be above óre instead of ando.

          > bottom:
          > Herein is set forth the tale of two Elves and their deeds during the
          > War of the Ring and thereafter, before they set sail for Valinor and
          > departed from this world.

          A dot below rómen in "herein" perhaps? In "Elves" the s-hook obscures the
          underdot, a miss in the design of the font. In "world" you have used a
          hook open to the left. Is there any special reason for that?

          > Many thanx to Johan Winge for the Tengwar Annatar font. I just
          > changed the inscription to it from Tengwar Paramaitë a moment ago
          > because it looks much better.

          I'm glad you liked it! :-) Note though, that some tehtar ideally should be
          changed when switching between the fonts. I'm thinking especially of
          lambe, which in Tengwar Annatar is wide enough to bear the leftmost
          shifted tehtar; this is most evident with the a-tehta, less so with the
          e-tehta.

          Regards,
          Johan Winge