Re: [elfscript] New Tengwar font available: Tengwar Annatar

  • Harri Perälä
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 31, 2004
      Carl F. Hostetter wrote:
      > I just wanted to say that I think this is a beautiful _Tengwar_ font,
      > perhaps the most attractive I've yet seen. Thank you very much, Johan,
      > for your hard work, and for making it available for others to use and
      > enjoy!

      I second that, and I'd like to add that I'm particularly happy that
      people who want to write in the Ring-inscription style using a font are
      no longer stuck with Tengwar Cursive.

      Harri Perälä
    • Melroch 'Aestan
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1 1:50 AM
        At 17:42 31.1.2004, Johan Winge wrote:
        >Hello everyone,
        >
        >I'm happy to announce that a new Tengwar font, called Tengwar Annatar, is
        >available.

        It's great! Too bad only that the reverse overcurl is not included,
        since it is needed for my preferred mode of writing Swedish!
        <http://www.melroch.se/tengwar/swedish/svteng.pdf>

        /BP 8^)
        --
        B.Philip Jonsson mailto:melrochX@... (delete X)
        A h-ammen ledin i phith! \ \
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1 3:16 AM

          On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 14:40:22 -0600 (CST), <d_daniel_andries@...>
          wrote:
          > Very nice! In fact, these are the truest representations of Formal Book
          > Hand and Ring Inscription Cursive that I've seen in fonts. No disrespect
          > intended to Måns Björkman, Harri Perälä, Dan Smith, et al.;
          > Tengwar Annatar just appears to follow Tolkien's examples more closely.

          Oh, thank you everyone! I'm flattered! *blushing* I don't know what to
          say, other than that I am very happy that you like it, and I hope you find
          some use for it.

          > There are, however, two points where Harri's Tengwar Cursive font
          > corresponds more closely to the inscription of the One Ring: the double
          > curl ('û') and the lambe joining to the following tengwa.

          Yes, I'm aware of that, and I had liked them to be included. However, I
          ran out of codepoints to place those characters in, and I wanted to give
          priority to other things. (Yes, I know that there are a few empty slots,
          but the _intention_ is to fill them with other stuff some day.)

          I have already started to look at other font technologies, which would,
          amongst other, enable me to include as many ligatures I want. I can almost
          promise, that Tengwar Annatar version 2.0, which will likely be unicode
          based, will include those variants. Until then Tengwar Cursive is the
          better choise if one is desperate to have those details.

          > (BTW ... on
          > your example of the Ring inscription you made a mistake: you used
          > extended stem anca where you should've used extended stem unque in the
          > word _agh_!)

          You are right, it is wrong -- thanks for pointing it out. I have corrected
          it now.

          Regards,
          -- Johan Winge

          http://home.student.uu.se/j/jowi4905/fonts/annatar.html
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 2 1:33 AM
            --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Johan wrote:
            > Oh, thank you everyone! I'm flattered! *blushing* I don't know what
            to say, other than that I am very happy that you like it, and I hope
            you find some use for it.

            Wow! The font is just great! Thanks a lot for this beautiful piece of
            work, Johan. Be sure we will find some use for it :o)

            Lucy
          • Carl F. Hostetter
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 2 4:30 AM
              On Feb 2, 2004, at 4:33 AM, calwen76 wrote:

              > Wow! The font is just great! Thanks a lot for this beautiful piece of
              > work, Johan. Be sure we will find some use for it :o)

              Speaking of which, I've now specified Annatar as the preferred
              _Tengwar_ font is the style sheets for _Tengwestië_ (the online journal
              of the Elvish Linguistic Fellowship:
              <http://www.elvish.org/Tengwestie/>). There's a small sample of it in
              the "Submissions Guideline", in the section discussing the tag for
              Tengwar text. (You'll have to have the font installed on your system to
              view it, of course.)

              (Johan, I would like to make sure that this sort of use is OK with you.
              I expect I'll also have use for your work in future issues of _Vinyar
              Tengwar_, and would like to clear that with you as well.)

              Thanks again!

              Carl

              ho bios brachys, he de techne makre.
              Ars longa, vita brevis.