New Tengwar font available: Tengwar Annatar

  • Johan Winge
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 31, 2004
      Hello everyone,

      I'm happy to announce that a new Tengwar font, called Tengwar Annatar, is
      available. It is a type family of four styles: regular, bold, italic and
      bold italic - the italic styles are based on the ring inscription, while
      the upright are my take on the formal book-hand style, with some elements
      in common with the italic style.

      The Tengwar Annatar font package can be downloaded from my homepage:
      http://home.student.uu.se/j/jowi4905/fonts/annatar.html

      At the moment a few characters, mainly those used by Tolkien to write Old
      English, are missing, but apart from that it should be fully compatible
      with other fonts, e.g. Tengwar Quenya and/or Tengwar Parmaite.

      Regards,
      Johan Winge
    • Carl F. Hostetter
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 31, 2004
        I just wanted to say that I think this is a beautiful _Tengwar_ font,
        perhaps the most attractive I've yet seen. Thank you very much, Johan,
        for your hard work, and for making it available for others to use and
        enjoy!

        Carl

        On Jan 31, 2004, at 11:42 AM, Johan Winge wrote:

        > The Tengwar Annatar font package can be downloaded from my homepage:
        > http://home.student.uu.se/j/jowi4905/fonts/annatar.html
      • Harri Perälä
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 31, 2004
          Carl F. Hostetter wrote:
          > I just wanted to say that I think this is a beautiful _Tengwar_ font,
          > perhaps the most attractive I've yet seen. Thank you very much, Johan,
          > for your hard work, and for making it available for others to use and
          > enjoy!

          I second that, and I'd like to add that I'm particularly happy that
          people who want to write in the Ring-inscription style using a font are
          no longer stuck with Tengwar Cursive.

          Harri Perälä
        • Melroch 'Aestan
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1 1:50 AM
            At 17:42 31.1.2004, Johan Winge wrote:
            >Hello everyone,
            >
            >I'm happy to announce that a new Tengwar font, called Tengwar Annatar, is
            >available.

            It's great! Too bad only that the reverse overcurl is not included,
            since it is needed for my preferred mode of writing Swedish!
            <http://www.melroch.se/tengwar/swedish/svteng.pdf>

            /BP 8^)
            --
            B.Philip Jonsson mailto:melrochX@... (delete X)
            A h-ammen ledin i phith! \ \
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1 3:16 AM

              On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 14:40:22 -0600 (CST), <d_daniel_andries@...>
              wrote:
              > Very nice! In fact, these are the truest representations of Formal Book
              > Hand and Ring Inscription Cursive that I've seen in fonts. No disrespect
              > intended to Måns Björkman, Harri Perälä, Dan Smith, et al.;
              > Tengwar Annatar just appears to follow Tolkien's examples more closely.

              Oh, thank you everyone! I'm flattered! *blushing* I don't know what to
              say, other than that I am very happy that you like it, and I hope you find
              some use for it.

              > There are, however, two points where Harri's Tengwar Cursive font
              > corresponds more closely to the inscription of the One Ring: the double
              > curl ('û') and the lambe joining to the following tengwa.

              Yes, I'm aware of that, and I had liked them to be included. However, I
              ran out of codepoints to place those characters in, and I wanted to give
              priority to other things. (Yes, I know that there are a few empty slots,
              but the _intention_ is to fill them with other stuff some day.)

              I have already started to look at other font technologies, which would,
              amongst other, enable me to include as many ligatures I want. I can almost
              promise, that Tengwar Annatar version 2.0, which will likely be unicode
              based, will include those variants. Until then Tengwar Cursive is the
              better choise if one is desperate to have those details.

              > (BTW ... on
              > your example of the Ring inscription you made a mistake: you used
              > extended stem anca where you should've used extended stem unque in the
              > word _agh_!)

              You are right, it is wrong -- thanks for pointing it out. I have corrected
              it now.

              Regards,
              -- Johan Winge

              http://home.student.uu.se/j/jowi4905/fonts/annatar.html
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 2 1:33 AM
                --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Johan wrote:
                > Oh, thank you everyone! I'm flattered! *blushing* I don't know what
                to say, other than that I am very happy that you like it, and I hope
                you find some use for it.

                Wow! The font is just great! Thanks a lot for this beautiful piece of
                work, Johan. Be sure we will find some use for it :o)

                Lucy
              • Carl F. Hostetter
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 2 4:30 AM
                  On Feb 2, 2004, at 4:33 AM, calwen76 wrote:

                  > Wow! The font is just great! Thanks a lot for this beautiful piece of
                  > work, Johan. Be sure we will find some use for it :o)

                  Speaking of which, I've now specified Annatar as the preferred
                  _Tengwar_ font is the style sheets for _Tengwestië_ (the online journal
                  of the Elvish Linguistic Fellowship:
                  <http://www.elvish.org/Tengwestie/>). There's a small sample of it in
                  the "Submissions Guideline", in the section discussing the tag for
                  Tengwar text. (You'll have to have the font installed on your system to
                  view it, of course.)

                  (Johan, I would like to make sure that this sort of use is OK with you.
                  I expect I'll also have use for your work in future issues of _Vinyar
                  Tengwar_, and would like to clear that with you as well.)

                  Thanks again!

                  Carl

                  ho bios brachys, he de techne makre.
                  Ars longa, vita brevis.