Greetings from a new member

  • Peter Arning
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 29, 2004
      Meneg suilaid!

      I joined this list a while ago and decided to lurk for a while before
      saying anything.

      I've been writing with Tengwar since I was about 13 (I'm 37 now - do
      the math). It wasn't until the Movie came out and I stumbled across
      the gozillion websites devoted to Tolkien's works that I realized I
      was not alone!

      Since I taught myself the letters in a vacuum, the system I use
      deviates in several places from most of the accepted methods of
      writing English. I use it as my own personal hand when keeping a
      journal, writing notes I want to keep private, and also passwords.

      The spark of the Movie (for it *is* but one Movie, in three parts,
      no?) has led me into studying my private hand in more detail, and I
      am learning a great deal about the other ways the orthography has
      been adapted. Hence, my membership to this list!

      I was very happy to discover Dan Smith's fonts - the man is a God of
      an order second only to the Creator Himself! For his gift to the
      tengwar orthographer, DS ranks in my opinion with Peter Jackson as
      one of the greats of Tolkienology.

      I am learning to type using DS's keyboard layout. The way I figure
      it, if one can switch back and forth between QWERTY and Dvorak
      layouts, why can one not switch between US English QWERTY and DS
      Tengwar layouts? It's challenging, but could possibly bring a new
      dimension to my personal note-keeping, allowing me to type in full
      view, yet still keep my thoughts private.

      I *have* come up with a personalized mode for TengScribe, but it is
      largely useless. I keep my scrawled Mazarbul-like notes out of
      laziness; the cutting and pasting required to use TengScribe is way
      too much work for me!

      I've come up with a chart of the way I use the tengwar and tehtar, as
      well as my own numbering system. If anyone is interested, I'd be
      happy to upload it.

      Cuio mae!

      Sardo
    • elimloth
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 30, 2004
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Arning" <arning@y...> wrote:
        > Meneg suilaid!
        >
        > I joined this list a while ago and decided to lurk for a while
        > before saying anything.

        Welcome.

        > [...] I keep my scrawled Mazarbul-like notes out of
        > laziness; the cutting and pasting required to use TengScribe is
        way
        > too much work for me!

        You might want to try YaTT which works with the TengScribe created
        modes. YaTT will transcribe an opened Word document.

        http://www.jadro.cz/tengwar/index.php

        Elimloth
      • machhezan
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 30, 2004
          Hi Peter 'Sardo' Arning

          It's a pleasure to welcome tengwar-experienced persons!

          I've also been writing with tengwar since I was about 12 (I'm 24
          now), though only occasionally in my journal (to me, shorthand or the
          Roman alphabet were more practical). My main interest has been the
          phonetically adequate representation of the languages I know.

          I've also learned the tengwar "in a vacuum". My interest for other
          people's work started when I bought _Elvish Tongues_ by Jim Allan
          about 5 years ago. Since then, I've been looking on the net for
          tengwar sites. It's only a year ago since I've tried to get as much
          of Tolkien's own tengwar samples as possible, since I believe they're
          the only reliable source for any tengwar use. I was astonished how
          easy it was to get a most of his published tengwar samples (as
          compiled in the DTS, the Mellonath Daeron Index of Tengwar Specimina).

          For my part, I'm very interested in your personal tengwar mode, after
          all since it's been practiced a lot and so must work. Just to warn
          you: My way of appreciating tengwar modes is criticizing them, trying
          to point out internal inconsistencies or inconsistencies with
          Tolkien's examples.

          suilaid
        • Peter Arning
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2, 2004
            > For my part, I'm very interested in your personal
            > tengwar mode, after all since it's been practiced a
            > lot and so must work. Just to warn you: My way of
            > appreciating tengwar modes is criticizing them,
            > trying to point out internal inconsistencies or
            > inconsistencies with Tolkien's examples.

            Well, you'll have plenty of things to find! I just uploaded the file
            to the Files section (under the directory Sardo).

            As for inconsistencies, I found plenty myself while going over my old
            writings to create the file. I guess that comes from writing quickly.
            I don't feel like scanning and uploading my personal journals for all
            of you to read.... However, here are some things I found that were
            common:

            I grew sick of writing "calma silme" for X, so I created my own X-
            like character.

            I often inadvertently swapped dipthongs, sometimes with no
            consistency in the same day's writing.

            The infamous Ruth Noel book heavily influenced me in the early 1980s,
            and I've grown stuck in the bad habits I learned from that time.
            (BTW - despite the problems with her book, it was All We Had At The
            Time outside of the corpus of the Trilogy and the Silmarillion. I
            still have my original beat-to-death copy that I have not gotten
            signed despite living in the same city and meeting Ms. Noel on more
            than one occasion.) Of course, I know better now, yet the habits
            persist.

            I also would spell out elided or "combined" letters with no
            consistency: in one paragraph, I might write the word "THE" with
            the "extended-vertical ando", with "thule yanta", with "thule e-
            tehta", and with "tinco hyarmen yanta".

            The last page of the uploaded file is a sampler of my own
            handwriting. The Mazarbul inscription is highly legible by
            comparison. I *can* write neatly if I take the time, just like any
            other calligraphy, but then it's not "writing", it's "art" and
            requires an entirely different attitude on my part.

            Anyway, here it is: my secret language, bared for all the world to
            see. At least I've accomplished something: a primer so that if anyone
            really wants to read my journals and notes after I'm gone, they can
            (but who'd want to?).

            Respectfully submitted,

            Sardo