Re: Some help with Tengwar

  • luppy_lupara
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 27, 2004
      I realize the translation for Christopher in English is very
      controversive, so I figured I'd research my name in the Quenya
      language, and came up with _Erucolindo_.. and the "code" V7UaYjT2 for
      Microsoft Word. Can you please inform me whether this is correct or
      not, I really appreciate all that this group has done for me. Will it
      be more accurate for me to get this tattooed or Christopher?
      Thanks again...
    • machhezan
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 28, 2004
        Danny wrote:
        > I've seen very few: the Michael Endorion, this one, and a couple of
        > "Elen síla..." inscriptions. About the one above mentioned ... I
        > don't even remember who had that book!

        What a pity!

        > >Of course, that final schwa is only found in phonetic
        > >modes, while silent _e_ is a characteristic of ortho-
        > >graphic writing
        >
        > I still think the schwa that is written 'e' in English is most
        > logically represented by the under-dot in the tehta mode as it is
        > in the KL orthographic mode.

        I suppose you mean the silent _e_, not a schwa, right?

        > >The way I try to use the tengwar is sticking as much as
        > >possible to J. R. R. Tolkien's own examples, so Chris-
        > >topher's tengwar modes don't count more than any other
        > >secondary tengwar mode.
        >
        > I agree, though not everyone interprets data from JRRT's attested
        > examples in the same way, as we've discovered! ;-)

        That's what interpretation is: We prete our undetstanding inter
        Tolkien's lines. ;) Though I'd say it's only very very few cases
        where we don't agree.

        suilaid