Re: [elfscript] Hail!

  • Harri Perälä
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 27, 2001
      graham@... wrote:

      > First post, so hello!

      Hi!

      > Hail! rest in the lofty halls of Greyhome.
      > Aiya! serya mii oromarde hiswamar.
      >
      > I've posted a small gif in the files section of the group of my
      > efforts with the tengwar called hail.gif. Please advise on the
      > translation and transcription.

      The tengwar spelling looks good as far as I can tell (except for a typo:
      you have written "oromarda" for "oromarde"). Someone with a better
      knowledge of Quenya should comment on the translation, but here is what
      I think:

      _Serya_: isn't the verb _ser-_ ( _serin_ under SED in Etym)? In that
      case I think the imperative would be _aa sere_ or _sera_.

      _Oromarde_ should be _oromardi_, if you specifically want the plural
      "halls".

      If a direct translation of the English text is intended, _Hiswamar_
      should be in the possessive (or the genitive?) case, I think.
      _Hiswamarwa_?

      Otherwise it looks ok to my untrained eye. As you may know, there are
      also lists like Elfling <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/elfling/>, where
      you might get more advice on Quenya.

      --
      Harri Perälä perala@... http://www.sci.fi/%7ealboin/
    • graham@jumpspace.org.uk
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 27, 2001
        --- In elfscript@y..., "Harri Perälä" <harri.perala@l...> wrote:

        > The tengwar spelling looks good as far as I can

        Thanks for your help with this I'm glad I'm there or there abouts on
        my first attempt.

        > _Serya_: isn't the verb _ser-_ ( _serin_ under SED in Etym)? In that
        > case I think the imperative would be _aa sere_ or _sera_.

        Impressive. How do you know this? Is there a text that I've missed -
        or is it in the LOTR appendices?

        > _Oromarde_ should be _oromardi_, if you specifically want the plural
        > "halls".

        Actually Hall will be fine - again how do you know about the plural
        rules? You're an elf aren't you...

        > If a direct translation of the English text is intended, _Hiswamar_
        > should be in the possessive (or the genitive?) case, I think.
        > _Hiswamarwa_?

        Blimey. I'm glad I posted! Same question applies.

        > Otherwise it looks ok to my untrained eye.

        I am not worthy :-) I didn't know about the elfling list thanks for
        the pointer Harri.

        I have much to learn.

        Graham
      • Harri Perälä
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 27, 2001
          graham@... wrote:

          > Impressive. How do you know this?

          Much of the information I just looked up in Helge Fauskanger's Quenya
          course. It is available from his website: http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf

          Other useful pointers you can find in the Elfling FAQ.

          --
          Harri Perälä perala@... http://www.sci.fi/%7ealboin/