Hail!

  • graham@jumpspace.org.uk
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 25, 2001
      First post, so hello!

      I've stumbled upon huge resources for writing Quenya using the
      Tengwar. I'm rather new to all this but had my first go this evening
      at getting some quenya down on my wordprocessor. I'm looking to create
      a border round my study and thought it would be nice to have the
      tengwar spelling out something vaguely meaningful.I'd like some advice
      on how I've done before creating the border!

      Here's my line:

      Hail! rest in the lofty halls of Greyhome.
      Aiya! serya mii oromarde hiswamar.

      I've posted a small gif in the files section of the group of my
      efforts with the tengwar called hail.gif. Please advise on the
      translation and transcription.

      I hope to do some more, and hope I can rest on your expertise now and
      again.

      Best

      Graham
    • Harri Perälä
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 27, 2001
        graham@... wrote:

        > First post, so hello!

        Hi!

        > Hail! rest in the lofty halls of Greyhome.
        > Aiya! serya mii oromarde hiswamar.
        >
        > I've posted a small gif in the files section of the group of my
        > efforts with the tengwar called hail.gif. Please advise on the
        > translation and transcription.

        The tengwar spelling looks good as far as I can tell (except for a typo:
        you have written "oromarda" for "oromarde"). Someone with a better
        knowledge of Quenya should comment on the translation, but here is what
        I think:

        _Serya_: isn't the verb _ser-_ ( _serin_ under SED in Etym)? In that
        case I think the imperative would be _aa sere_ or _sera_.

        _Oromarde_ should be _oromardi_, if you specifically want the plural
        "halls".

        If a direct translation of the English text is intended, _Hiswamar_
        should be in the possessive (or the genitive?) case, I think.
        _Hiswamarwa_?

        Otherwise it looks ok to my untrained eye. As you may know, there are
        also lists like Elfling <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/elfling/>, where
        you might get more advice on Quenya.

        --
        Harri Perälä perala@... http://www.sci.fi/%7ealboin/
      • graham@jumpspace.org.uk
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 27, 2001
          --- In elfscript@y..., "Harri Perälä" <harri.perala@l...> wrote:

          > The tengwar spelling looks good as far as I can

          Thanks for your help with this I'm glad I'm there or there abouts on
          my first attempt.

          > _Serya_: isn't the verb _ser-_ ( _serin_ under SED in Etym)? In that
          > case I think the imperative would be _aa sere_ or _sera_.

          Impressive. How do you know this? Is there a text that I've missed -
          or is it in the LOTR appendices?

          > _Oromarde_ should be _oromardi_, if you specifically want the plural
          > "halls".

          Actually Hall will be fine - again how do you know about the plural
          rules? You're an elf aren't you...

          > If a direct translation of the English text is intended, _Hiswamar_
          > should be in the possessive (or the genitive?) case, I think.
          > _Hiswamarwa_?

          Blimey. I'm glad I posted! Same question applies.

          > Otherwise it looks ok to my untrained eye.

          I am not worthy :-) I didn't know about the elfling list thanks for
          the pointer Harri.

          I have much to learn.

          Graham
        • Harri Perälä
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 27, 2001
            graham@... wrote:

            > Impressive. How do you know this?

            Much of the information I just looked up in Helge Fauskanger's Quenya
            course. It is available from his website: http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf

            Other useful pointers you can find in the Elfling FAQ.

            --
            Harri Perälä perala@... http://www.sci.fi/%7ealboin/