Re: And Another Request (was Re: [elfscript] Names)

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 5, 2004
      Heather wrote:

      > is there a term for Red hair such as there is for golden hair, ie
      Galadriel? I haven't come across one, though to be honest I'm still new to
      learning the language. Any help is appreciated. :)

      The initial element of Galadriel (galad-) has to do with "light" or
      "radiance" rather than "golden" as such. The rest combines elements for
      "crown" or "garland" (-ri-) and "maiden" (-el).

      But if you use the Sindarin word for "red" as the initial element,
      replacing _galad_, the resulting form would be Caradhriel (for
      _caran-riel_; compare _Caradhras_ for _Caran-rass_ "Red-horn", since _nr_
      becomes _dhr_ in Sindarin).

      - HKF
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 5, 2004
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Lee & Susan" <lecachot@a...> wrote:
        > My apologies!
        > I'm still trying to work my way through Tolkiens's languages, and
        am trying
        > to use the sources I can find. If I may be so bold, is there a
        phrase in
        > Sindarin for "Thank You"?
        > Luinvirelleth

        We don't know :o) In the PJ's movies (The Two Towers, to be specific)
        _Hannon le_ is used but some guys use _Le hannon_. Either of them is
        attested though.