Re: And Another Request (was Re: [elfscript] Names)

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 5, 2004
      Heather wrote:

      > is there a term for Red hair such as there is for golden hair, ie
      Galadriel? I haven't come across one, though to be honest I'm still new to
      learning the language. Any help is appreciated. :)

      The initial element of Galadriel (galad-) has to do with "light" or
      "radiance" rather than "golden" as such. The rest combines elements for
      "crown" or "garland" (-ri-) and "maiden" (-el).

      But if you use the Sindarin word for "red" as the initial element,
      replacing _galad_, the resulting form would be Caradhriel (for
      _caran-riel_; compare _Caradhras_ for _Caran-rass_ "Red-horn", since _nr_
      becomes _dhr_ in Sindarin).

      - HKF
    • d_daniel_andries@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 5, 2004
        Teithant Luinvirelleth:
        >Diola lle!

        Eek! That's not Tolkien's Elvish ... that's Grelvish. Grelvish hurts my
        eyes! Clue: no word in Tolkien's can begin with a double consonant.
        _Lle_ is an infamous Grelvish giveaway.

        >Did "mir" (jewel) lenit (I think that is the term) to "vir"?

        Actually, the word is 'lenite'. And yes, the second element of a
        compound usually undergoes lenition.

        >Any idea how it would be pronounced?  I'm
        guessing
        >at syllables like this:  Lu in vir el leth, or is Luin all one
        >syllable with "ui" as a dipthong?

        _Luinvirelleth_ has four syllables; 'ui' is a diphthong in Sindarin.
        'luin-vir-EL-leth', with the capitals representing the stressed
        syllable. Remember to pronounce _elleth_ with the double 'L'.

        Cuio mae, Danny.
      • Lee & Susan
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 5, 2004
          My apologies!
          I'm still trying to work my way through Tolkiens's languages, and am trying
          to use the sources I can find. If I may be so bold, is there a phrase in
          Sindarin for "Thank You"?
          Luinvirelleth

          Eek! That's not Tolkien's Elvish ... that's Grelvish. Grelvish hurts my
          eyes! Clue: no word in Tolkien's can begin with a double consonant.
          _Lle_ is an infamous Grelvish giveaway.

          >Did "mir" (jewel) lenit (I think that is the term) to "vir"?

          Actually, the word is 'lenite'. And yes, the second element of a
          compound usually undergoes lenition.

          >Any idea how it would be pronounced? I'm
          guessing
          >at syllables like this: Lu in vir el leth, or is Luin all one
          >syllable with "ui" as a dipthong?

          _Luinvirelleth_ has four syllables; 'ui' is a diphthong in Sindarin.
          'luin-vir-EL-leth', with the capitals representing the stressed
          syllable. Remember to pronounce _elleth_ with the double 'L'.

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          To visit your group on the web, go to:

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 5, 2004
            --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Lee & Susan" <lecachot@a...> wrote:
            > My apologies!
            > I'm still trying to work my way through Tolkiens's languages, and
            am trying
            > to use the sources I can find. If I may be so bold, is there a
            phrase in
            > Sindarin for "Thank You"?
            > Luinvirelleth

            We don't know :o) In the PJ's movies (The Two Towers, to be specific)
            _Hannon le_ is used but some guys use _Le hannon_. Either of them is
            attested though.