Newbie help

  • Caitlynn
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2004
      Hello all
      I'm very interested in having an elvish tattoo, I've read all of
      the Tolkin books, but yet still have no grasp on the language. I
      was wondering if anyone who has a vast knowledge of the
      language...more specifically I want it to be in Quenya or Sindarin.
      I would like it to read something along the lines of "Live the Life
      you Love and Love the Life You Live" I will pay smeone for their
      time if they can not only translate it to Elfin but have it drawn up
      too, and I end up using their design for my tattoo. I would
      appreciate any and all help...You can e-mail me; Kei_or@...

      Thankyou,
      Caitlynn
    • mach
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 8, 2004
        Caitlynn wrote:
        > I'm very interested in having an elvish tattoo, I've read all of
        > the Tolkin books, but yet still have no grasp on the language. I
        > was wondering if anyone who has a vast knowledge of the
        > language...more specifically I want it to be in Quenya or Sindarin.
        > I would like it to read something along the lines of "Live the Life
        > you Love and Love the Life You Live"

        It would be a pity to translate that verse into another language than
        English because the rhymes would get lost.

        But you could as well take the English sentence at it is and just write it
        with tengwar instead of Latin letters. It would be something like this:

        _live_:
        lambe, ampa with a single point above and a single point below

        _the_:
        extended ando

        _life_:
        lambe, formen with a single point above and a single point below

        _you_:
        anna, vala with a right-curl (o-curl) above

        _love_:
        lambe, ampa with a right curl (o-curl) above and a single point below.

        and:
        ando with a horizontal bar above

        In the link section, there are references for pages that show the letter
        names (or you could just look up in google for them).

        suilaid