Re: Tengwar--Phonetic?

  • mach
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2004
      pincurlsandribbon wrote:
      > Hello! I'm a newbie :) I was wondering if anyone could clear up a
      > question I have about Tengwar. I've downloaded the Textbook and I've
      > been to Dan Smith's webpage and many other pages, but I'm a little
      > confused about the whole concept of "English Tengwar". I can do
      > Sindarin and Quenya b/c the words are spelt like they are pronounced,
      > unlike English.

      At least in the case of Quenya, this isn't true, since Quenya is said not to
      be spelt the way it's pronounced: Quenya orthography has two letters for the
      s-sound, two for the n-sound and two for the v-sound (were there any else?).
      Their use depends on the history of the language. So Quenya is spelt
      according to its history, that is, according to a traditional orthography.
      In the actual Quenya tengwar texts, however, all sounds are spelt according
      to pronunciation, so there are two different ways of writing Quenya.

      Now the same happens with English: J. R. R. Tolkien used two major ways of
      writing English with tengwar (and many minor varieties of each), either
      according to English pronunciation or according to traditional English
      orthography. Unfortunately, this isn't pointed out clearly either in Chris
      McKay's Tengwar Textbook or on Dan Smith's excellent page.

      The majority of the English tengwar samples is written according to
      pronunciation. All samples written according to traditional English
      orthography are expressly addressed to other people (written in letters or
      for publications).

      > Are you suppose to write it letter for letter or do
      > it all phonetically?

      You're free to decide; both are attested.

      > For example if you were to write "edition" would
      > you write it with a "i-t-i" or e-d-i-sh-o-n?

      I suppose the latter would rather be _edishn_ (or _idishn_), since we have
      an instance of the word _companion_ (in DTS 24) where the _o_ of the ending
      isn't transcribed with the normal o-letter of that mode, vilya, but with a
      point below the _n_ indicating that this _n_ is syllabic.

      > I personally think it's
      > easier to write it out phonetically, but easier to read it if it's
      > done letter for letter...

      I think that's exactly the reason why most prefer the orthographic modes,
      the same reason why J. R. R. Tolkien chose them when addressing other
      people.

      suilaid