Re: And Another Request (was Re: [elfscript] Names)

  • Arden R. Smith
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 3, 2004
      Heather writes:

      >Danny also mentions the use of an _epesse_, such as Galadriel has.
      >The closest thing for me would than be red, as I have red hair, and
      >have been called that all my life. Is there a term for Red hair such
      >as there is for golden hair, ie Galadriel? I haven't come across one,
      >though to be honest I'm still new to learning the language. Any help
      >is appreciated. :)

      Fëanor's eldest son Maedhros had just such an epesse, due to the fact
      that he had the rare red-brown hair of his mother's kin: _Russandol_,
      meaning "copper-top" (_The Lays of Beleriand_, p. 212).

      Mind you, questions about translating names into Elvish are not
      on-topic for this list, which is intended for discussion of the
      Elvish alphabets, not the Elvish languages.

      Arden R. Smith erilaz@...

      Perilme metto aimaktur perperienta.
      --Elvish proverb
    • d_daniel_andries@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 4, 2004
        Teithant Susan:
        >I'm looking for some help creating an Elvish name, it
        >sounds from this description that I am trying to create an
        >_epesse_.  The elements that I would like to include
        >(some or all) are:
        >blue
        >jewel
        >woman/lady
        >elf
        >If anyone can give me any suggestions, I would be
        >very grateful.

        How about _Luinvirelleth_ ('Blue jewel Elf-woman')? It looks rather
        long, but it has the same number of syllables as _Galadriel_. Or you
        could leave out _luin_ (blue) and simply have _Mirelleth_ ... an
        'easier' _epesse_.

        Cuio mae, Danny.
      • Lee & Susan
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 4, 2004
          Diola lle!
          Actually, I rather like Luinvirelleth. Did "mir" (jewel) lenit (I think
          that is the term) to "vir"? Any idea how it would be pronounced? I'm
          guessing at syllables like this: Lu in vir el leth, or is Luin all one
          syllable with "ui" as a dipthong?
          Luinvirelleth

          >I'm looking for some help creating an Elvish name, it
          >sounds from this description that I am trying to create an
          >_epesse_. The elements that I would like to include
          >(some or all) are:
          >blue
          >jewel
          >woman/lady
          >elf
          >If anyone can give me any suggestions, I would be
          >very grateful.

          How about _Luinvirelleth_ ('Blue jewel Elf-woman')? It looks rather
          long, but it has the same number of syllables as _Galadriel_. Or you
          could leave out _luin_ (blue) and simply have _Mirelleth_ ... an
          'easier' _epesse_.

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          To visit your group on the web, go to:

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 5, 2004
            Heather wrote:

            > is there a term for Red hair such as there is for golden hair, ie
            Galadriel? I haven't come across one, though to be honest I'm still new to
            learning the language. Any help is appreciated. :)

            The initial element of Galadriel (galad-) has to do with "light" or
            "radiance" rather than "golden" as such. The rest combines elements for
            "crown" or "garland" (-ri-) and "maiden" (-el).

            But if you use the Sindarin word for "red" as the initial element,
            replacing _galad_, the resulting form would be Caradhriel (for
            _caran-riel_; compare _Caradhras_ for _Caran-rass_ "Red-horn", since _nr_
            becomes _dhr_ in Sindarin).

            - HKF
          • d_daniel_andries@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 5, 2004
              Teithant Luinvirelleth:
              >Diola lle!

              Eek! That's not Tolkien's Elvish ... that's Grelvish. Grelvish hurts my
              eyes! Clue: no word in Tolkien's can begin with a double consonant.
              _Lle_ is an infamous Grelvish giveaway.

              >Did "mir" (jewel) lenit (I think that is the term) to "vir"?

              Actually, the word is 'lenite'. And yes, the second element of a
              compound usually undergoes lenition.

              >Any idea how it would be pronounced?  I'm
              guessing
              >at syllables like this:  Lu in vir el leth, or is Luin all one
              >syllable with "ui" as a dipthong?

              _Luinvirelleth_ has four syllables; 'ui' is a diphthong in Sindarin.
              'luin-vir-EL-leth', with the capitals representing the stressed
              syllable. Remember to pronounce _elleth_ with the double 'L'.

              Cuio mae, Danny.
            • Lee & Susan
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 5, 2004
                My apologies!
                I'm still trying to work my way through Tolkiens's languages, and am trying
                to use the sources I can find. If I may be so bold, is there a phrase in
                Sindarin for "Thank You"?
                Luinvirelleth

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 5, 2004
                  --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Lee & Susan" <lecachot@a...> wrote:
                  > My apologies!
                  > I'm still trying to work my way through Tolkiens's languages, and
                  am trying
                  > to use the sources I can find. If I may be so bold, is there a
                  phrase in
                  > Sindarin for "Thank You"?
                  > Luinvirelleth

                  We don't know :o) In the PJ's movies (The Two Towers, to be specific)
                  _Hannon le_ is used but some guys use _Le hannon_. Either of them is
                  attested though.