Another Request (was Re: [elfscript] Names)

  • Lee & Susan
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 3, 2004
      I'm looking for some help creating an Elvish name, it sounds from this
      description that I am trying to create an _epesse_. The elements that I
      would like to include (some or all) are:
      blue
      jewel
      woman/lady
      elf
      If anyone can give me any suggestions, I would be very grateful.
      Thanks,
      Susan

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2004
        I'm also interested in this as well. I went to quenya lapseparma and
        the behind the name and it gives Oricon as the translations for my
        name. That just seems rather masculine. Is there a feminine version
        that just wasn't listed? And is this actually correct, since there
        really isn't a "definition" for heather, just a hearth shrub...

        Danny also mentions the use of an _epesse_, such as Galadriel has.
        The closest thing for me would than be red, as I have red hair, and
        have been called that all my life. Is there a term for Red hair such
        as there is for golden hair, ie Galadriel? I haven't come across one,
        though to be honest I'm still new to learning the language. Any help
        is appreciated. :)

        Heather

      • Arden R. Smith
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2004
          Heather writes:

          >Danny also mentions the use of an _epesse_, such as Galadriel has.
          >The closest thing for me would than be red, as I have red hair, and
          >have been called that all my life. Is there a term for Red hair such
          >as there is for golden hair, ie Galadriel? I haven't come across one,
          >though to be honest I'm still new to learning the language. Any help
          >is appreciated. :)

          Fëanor's eldest son Maedhros had just such an epesse, due to the fact
          that he had the rare red-brown hair of his mother's kin: _Russandol_,
          meaning "copper-top" (_The Lays of Beleriand_, p. 212).

          Mind you, questions about translating names into Elvish are not
          on-topic for this list, which is intended for discussion of the
          Elvish alphabets, not the Elvish languages.

          Arden R. Smith erilaz@...

          Perilme metto aimaktur perperienta.
          --Elvish proverb
        • d_daniel_andries@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 4, 2004
            Teithant Susan:
            >I'm looking for some help creating an Elvish name, it
            >sounds from this description that I am trying to create an
            >_epesse_.  The elements that I would like to include
            >(some or all) are:
            >blue
            >jewel
            >woman/lady
            >elf
            >If anyone can give me any suggestions, I would be
            >very grateful.

            How about _Luinvirelleth_ ('Blue jewel Elf-woman')? It looks rather
            long, but it has the same number of syllables as _Galadriel_. Or you
            could leave out _luin_ (blue) and simply have _Mirelleth_ ... an
            'easier' _epesse_.

            Cuio mae, Danny.
          • Lee & Susan
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 4, 2004
              Diola lle!
              Actually, I rather like Luinvirelleth. Did "mir" (jewel) lenit (I think
              that is the term) to "vir"? Any idea how it would be pronounced? I'm
              guessing at syllables like this: Lu in vir el leth, or is Luin all one
              syllable with "ui" as a dipthong?
              Luinvirelleth

              >I'm looking for some help creating an Elvish name, it
              >sounds from this description that I am trying to create an
              >_epesse_. The elements that I would like to include
              >(some or all) are:
              >blue
              >jewel
              >woman/lady
              >elf
              >If anyone can give me any suggestions, I would be
              >very grateful.

              How about _Luinvirelleth_ ('Blue jewel Elf-woman')? It looks rather
              long, but it has the same number of syllables as _Galadriel_. Or you
              could leave out _luin_ (blue) and simply have _Mirelleth_ ... an
              'easier' _epesse_.

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              To visit your group on the web, go to:

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 5, 2004
                Heather wrote:

                > is there a term for Red hair such as there is for golden hair, ie
                Galadriel? I haven't come across one, though to be honest I'm still new to
                learning the language. Any help is appreciated. :)

                The initial element of Galadriel (galad-) has to do with "light" or
                "radiance" rather than "golden" as such. The rest combines elements for
                "crown" or "garland" (-ri-) and "maiden" (-el).

                But if you use the Sindarin word for "red" as the initial element,
                replacing _galad_, the resulting form would be Caradhriel (for
                _caran-riel_; compare _Caradhras_ for _Caran-rass_ "Red-horn", since _nr_
                becomes _dhr_ in Sindarin).

                - HKF
              • d_daniel_andries@webtv.net
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 5, 2004
                  Teithant Luinvirelleth:
                  >Diola lle!

                  Eek! That's not Tolkien's Elvish ... that's Grelvish. Grelvish hurts my
                  eyes! Clue: no word in Tolkien's can begin with a double consonant.
                  _Lle_ is an infamous Grelvish giveaway.

                  >Did "mir" (jewel) lenit (I think that is the term) to "vir"?

                  Actually, the word is 'lenite'. And yes, the second element of a
                  compound usually undergoes lenition.

                  >Any idea how it would be pronounced?  I'm
                  guessing
                  >at syllables like this:  Lu in vir el leth, or is Luin all one
                  >syllable with "ui" as a dipthong?

                  _Luinvirelleth_ has four syllables; 'ui' is a diphthong in Sindarin.
                  'luin-vir-EL-leth', with the capitals representing the stressed
                  syllable. Remember to pronounce _elleth_ with the double 'L'.

                  Cuio mae, Danny.
                • Lee & Susan
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 5, 2004
                    My apologies!
                    I'm still trying to work my way through Tolkiens's languages, and am trying
                    to use the sources I can find. If I may be so bold, is there a phrase in
                    Sindarin for "Thank You"?
                    Luinvirelleth

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 5, 2004
                      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Lee & Susan" <lecachot@a...> wrote:
                      > My apologies!
                      > I'm still trying to work my way through Tolkiens's languages, and
                      am trying
                      > to use the sources I can find. If I may be so bold, is there a
                      phrase in
                      > Sindarin for "Thank You"?
                      > Luinvirelleth

                      We don't know :o) In the PJ's movies (The Two Towers, to be specific)
                      _Hannon le_ is used but some guys use _Le hannon_. Either of them is
                      attested though.