Names

  • mraystone
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2004
      Hey

      I am new to this group and I have an interest in Elvish(mostly Quenya)
      Names. But I dont fully understand the system. My name is Matt
      Stone. So would I go by the literal meaning, being [the elvish word
      for "MAT"] and then gond on the end? Or would I go by the acctual
      meaning of the names. In that case my name acctually means Gift from
      God[Matt] and then of course just Stone. Then would it be Ara[Holy,
      Royal]+anna[Gift]+gond or, put together, Arannagond? Or does it just
      not really matter wich way?

      Thanks
    • d_daniel_andries@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2004
        Teithant mraystone:
        >I am new to this group and I have an interest in Elvish(
        >mostly Quenya)Names.  But I dont fully understand
        >the system.  My name is Matt Stone.

        I would suggest either _Eruanno Sardo_ or _Eruanno Ondo_. Actually, I
        prefer the sound of the first because it doesn't have the two o's
        together.
        _Eru_: God
        _anna_: gift
        _sar_: stone or _ondo_: stone

        However you should keep in mind that you don't have to be restricted by
        your birth name. You can choose an _epesse_, a nickname, based on
        something that has a special meaning to you. Remember Galadriel; that
        wasn't her name given to her by her parents. Celeborn gave Galadriel
        that _epesse_ because of her golden hair. You can do the same sort of
        thing. Make it something personal.

        Cuio mae, Danny.
      • mraystone
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2004
          Thanks a lot, I like the Sound of Eruanno Sardo.

          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, d_daniel_andries@w... wrote:
          > I would suggest either _Eruanno Sardo_ or _Eruanno Ondo_. Actually, I
          > prefer the sound of the first because it doesn't have the two o's
          > together.
          > _Eru_: God
          > _anna_: gift
          > _sar_: stone or _ondo_: stone
          >
          > However you should keep in mind that you don't have to be restricted by
          > your birth name. You can choose an _epesse_, a nickname, based on
          > something that has a special meaning to you. Remember Galadriel; that
          > wasn't her name given to her by her parents. Celeborn gave Galadriel
          > that _epesse_ because of her golden hair. You can do the same sort of
          > thing. Make it something personal.
          >
          > Cuio mae, Danny.
        • picard1416
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 25, 2005
            I would be most grateful if anyone could give me an elvish verion of
            the name Vivien (female). Thank you in advance. Stuart
          • Palatinus
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 25, 2005
              > I would be most grateful if anyone could give me an
              > elvish verion of
              > the name Vivien (female). Thank you in advance.

              please check http://www.elvish.org/elm/names/v.html

              Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;