Yet another translation for a tattoo...

  • mandacat98
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2004
      I am new to the group, and was directed here through my search for
      translations. My first tattoo has to be special, and I finally found
      the quote that I want:

      "All that is gold does not glitter,
      Not all those who wander are lost."

      I found it translated as:

      Laurea ilqua la rilya,
      La vanwa i ranya ilquen.

      I love the Elvish script, but I can't find a font or a website that
      will help me put this beautiful language into the script I would
      like. Can anyone help? I have seen threads like this before, but
      when it is typed out, the characters just look like gibberish to me.
      Oh please, oh please, oh please....

      Namarie,
      Mandacat
    • mizzd/lotrrulz
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2004
        i would like to get a elvish tattoo but i want the writing as well as the meaning i need a little help figuring out what i want as far a the right things

      • mandacat98
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 4, 2004
          Am I being unclear about what I need or is no one interested in
          helping me?

          Mandacat

          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "mandacat98" <mandacat98@y...>
          wrote:
          > I am new to the group, and was directed here through my search for
          > translations. My first tattoo has to be special, and I finally
          found
          > the quote that I want:
          >
          > "All that is gold does not glitter,
          > Not all those who wander are lost."
          >
          > I found it translated as:
          >
          > Laurea ilqua la rilya,
          > La vanwa i ranya ilquen.
          >
          > I love the Elvish script, but I can't find a font or a website that
          > will help me put this beautiful language into the script I would
          > like. Can anyone help? I have seen threads like this before, but
          > when it is typed out, the characters just look like gibberish to
          me.
          > Oh please, oh please, oh please....
          >
          > Namarie,
          > Mandacat
        • elimloth
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 4, 2004
            wrote:
            > Am I being unclear about what I need or is no one interested in
            > helping me?
            >
            > Mandacat
            [...]

            Search for 'transcriber' in these archives.

            Elimoth
          • mandacat98
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 12, 2004
              So I dowloaded Dan Smith's Tengwar fonts, but I am apparently so
              computer illiterate that I am having trouble using the stinking
              thing! If anyone can explain it in plain English, I would appreciate
              it. Especially if anyone has the font themselves and is experienced
              with it. I want to say that I translated it into Tengwar myself, so
              I am not looking for someone to do it for me...But I really need help!

              Mandacat

              --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "elimloth" <draco@s...> wrote:
              > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "mandacat98" <mandacat98@y...>
              > wrote:
              > > Am I being unclear about what I need or is no one interested in
              > > helping me?
              > >
              > > Mandacat
              > [...]
              >
              > Search for 'transcriber' in these archives.
              >
              > Elimoth
            • Harri Perälä
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 14, 2004
                mandacat98 wrote:

                > So I dowloaded Dan Smith's Tengwar fonts, but I am apparently so
                > computer illiterate that I am having trouble using the stinking
                > thing! If anyone can explain it in plain English, I would appreciate
                > it.

                How far have you gotten? If you have trouble getting the fonts
                installed, the links at
                http://www.sci.fi/~alboin/tengwartutorial.htm#installing may help. If
                the problem is with figuring out the keymapping, I think Dan Smith's own
                help file does a good job in explaining it all. I have also tried
                explaining the basic idea at
                http://www.sci.fi/~alboin/tengwartutorial.htm#aboutthetengwar , but I'm
                not sure if I managed to write plain English or not. If you can
                formulate a more specific question, we can maybe give more helpful answers.

                Harri Perälä