Quenya H < bilabial F

  • Florian Dombach
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2003
      Hello everybody,

      I was just recently aware that in Quenya (with which I normally don't
      deal very often yet) there are words beginning in h- that do have a
      variant in f-, like _huine_ besides _fuine_ (although it seems that
      forms in f- might later have been abandoned by Tolkien).
      They come from stems beginning in ph- and thus of course don't have
      early forms beginning in the Ach-Laut, but must from the very
      beginning have had breath-H (or at least bilabial F like ?Japanese).
      Therefore I expect them to be written with _halla_, since this is the
      only sign that seems to be used for breath-H from its making on.

      So do you think I am correct on this, or are there maybe some further
      suggestions? I just wanted to make sure I didn't forget anything.

      Meneke suili,
      Florian "Lothenon" Dombach