Re: "Sindarin mode" - Blach Speech mode

  • John
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 20, 2003
      > The question is: Who could have taught Sauron the 'general use'?

      Maybe Sauron learned it during his stay in Númenor... Did the
      Númenoreans use an Adûnaic mode similar to what became the Westron
      mode? I'm sure they did, because Westron is supposed to descend from
      Adûnaic, right? Anyway, while Sauron was in Númenor, he must have
      learned something of the Elvish writing that the Númenoreans used for
      both Elvish and their own Tongue. I'm sure he would have been more
      familiar with the Adûnaic writing, since he hated the Elves and urged
      others to follow his hatred. He devised an entire language (Black
      Speech), so it doesn't seem improbable to me that he could have also
      devised a mode for that language using the Tengwar mode of Adûnaic as
      a base. Perhaps Sauron's mode only differs slightly from the Adûnaic
      mode, and both modes sort of evolved the same way, given their
      possibly common root. I can see it at least as a possibility, but I
      can't prove it with any Tengwar samples.

      Sincerely,
      John