"A Knife In The Dark" lyrics?

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 18, 2003
      Hi everyone,

      I was wondering if anyone on this board might be able to help me. I've been hired to
      do an orchestral transcription of some music from the Lord Of The Rings
      soundtracks, and while I'm able to find most of the choral parts in the various piano/
      vocal scores that have been released, there are still some songs that I'm unable to
      find lyrics for.

      In particular, the lyrics to "A Knife In The Dark" from The Fellowship Of The Ring has
      eluded me. I was sent over here by the moderator of the Elfling board, who said that I
      might have more luck posting on your message board than his. (I'm beginning to feel
      vaguely Frodo-like in my quest...)

      Basically I'm wondering if anyone on this board has the lyrics of this song anywhere,
      or could point me in the direction of someone who might. I don't need a
      translation--just a transcription of the lyrics. I would even be willing to do an
      exchange with anyone who would be willing to write them down for me--I can send
      you a copy of the completed orchestral score when it's done.

      Anyway, if anyone can help me out, that would be much appreciated.

      Thanks,

      Chris
    • aphadiol
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 18, 2003
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <fearless1976@y...> wrote:
        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > I was wondering if anyone on this board might be able to help me.
        I've been hired to
        > do an orchestral transcription of some music from the Lord Of The
        Rings
        > soundtracks, and while I'm able to find most of the choral parts
        in the various piano/
        > vocal scores that have been released, there are still some songs
        that I'm unable to
        > find lyrics for.
        >
        > In particular, the lyrics to "A Knife In The Dark" from The
        Fellowship Of The Ring has
        > eluded me. I was sent over here by the moderator of the Elfling
        board, who said that I
        > might have more luck posting on your message board than his. (I'm
        beginning to feel
        > vaguely Frodo-like in my quest...)
        >
        > Basically I'm wondering if anyone on this board has the lyrics of
        this song anywhere,
        > or could point me in the direction of someone who might. I don't
        need a
        > translation--just a transcription of the lyrics. I would even be
        willing to do an
        > exchange with anyone who would be willing to write them down for
        me--I can send
        > you a copy of the completed orchestral score when it's done.
        >
        > Anyway, if anyone can help me out, that would be much appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Chris

        Couldn't it be that Knife In The Dark is a pure instrumental song?
        I looked up on Ryszard Derdzinski's Gwaith-i-Phetdain page in the
        FotR soundtrack and I found none of the lyrics...
      • Chris
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 18, 2003
          > Couldn't it be that Knife In The Dark is a pure instrumental song?
          > I looked up on Ryszard Derdzinski's Gwaith-i-Phetdain page in the
          > FotR soundtrack and I found none of the lyrics...

          Hi Aphadiol,

          Thanks for responding to my post. If you listen to the track on the CD, there's
          definitely an ominous sounding choir. But what is this Gwaith-i-Phetdain resource
          you speak of? (And for that matter, what is Gwaith-i-Phetdain? Please excuse my
          ignorance...)

          Thanks again,

          Chris
        • aphadiol
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 19, 2003
            --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <fearless1976@y...> wrote:
            > > Couldn't it be that Knife In The Dark is a pure instrumental song?
            > > I looked up on Ryszard Derdzinski's Gwaith-i-Phetdain page in the
            > > FotR soundtrack and I found none of the lyrics...
            >
            > Hi Aphadiol,
            >
            > Thanks for responding to my post. If you listen to the track on
            the CD, there's
            > definitely an ominous sounding choir. But what is this Gwaith-i-
            Phetdain resource
            > you speak of? (And for that matter, what is Gwaith-i-Phetdain?
            Please excuse my
            > ignorance...)
            >
            > Thanks again,
            >
            > Chris

            Gwaith-i-phetdain (Fellowship of the Word-smiths) is a homepage
            concerning elvish languages...
            It has a part where all the elvish texts in the movie (including the
            movie itself and the soundtrack) is shown, translated and
            analyzed...
            But I'll try to get other materials

            www.elvish.org/gwaith
            That's the page
            It's owner is Ryszard Derdzinski, maybe you've heard his name
            before...
          • Chris
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 19, 2003
              > Gwaith-i-phetdain (Fellowship of the Word-smiths) is a homepage
              > concerning elvish languages...
              > It has a part where all the elvish texts in the movie (including the
              > movie itself and the soundtrack) is shown, translated and
              > analyzed...
              > But I'll try to get other materials
              >
              > www.elvish.org/gwaith
              > That's the page
              > It's owner is Ryszard Derdzinski, maybe you've heard his name
              > before...

              I *have* heard that name before. It popped up when I was trying to find lyrics for
              some of the other songs on the CD. Strange that "A Knife In The Dark" isn't one of
              the one he has.

              Thanks for helping out, by the way. I really appreciate it.

              Chris
            • Carl F. Hostetter
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 19, 2003
                On Dec 18, 2003, at 3:12 AM, Chris wrote:

                > In particular, the lyrics to "A Knife In The Dark" from The Fellowship
                > Of The Ring has
                > eluded me. I was sent over here by the moderator of the Elfling board,

                Really? How inappropriate.

                "Why don't you try W. H. Smith's?"

                "I did, they sent me here."

                "Did they..."

                ho bios brachys, he de techne makre.
                Ars longa, vita brevis.
              • elimloth
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 19, 2003
                  --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Carl F. Hostetter <Aelfwine@e...>
                  wrote:

                  > On Dec 18, 2003, at 3:12 AM, Chris wrote:
                  >
                  > > In particular, the lyrics to "A Knife In The Dark" from The
                  Fellowship
                  > > Of The Ring has
                  > > eluded me. I was sent over here by the moderator of the Elfling
                  board,

                  > Really? How inappropriate.

                  Quite appropriate, Carl. I sent them to www.elvish.org, and for
                  tengwar related matter I sent them t elfscript.

                  Elimloth
                • Carl F. Hostetter
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 19, 2003
                    On Dec 19, 2003, at 9:41 PM, elimloth wrote:

                    > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Carl F. Hostetter <Aelfwine@e...>
                    > wrote:
                    >>
                    >> On Dec 18, 2003, at 3:12 AM, Chris wrote:
                    >>
                    >>> In particular, the lyrics to "A Knife In The Dark" from The
                    >>> Fellowship Of The Ring has eluded me. I was sent over here by the
                    >>> moderator of the Elfling board,
                    >>
                    >> Really? How inappropriate.
                    >
                    > Quite appropriate, Carl. I sent them to www.elvish.org, and for
                    > tengwar related matter I sent them t elfscript.

                    I don't follow you. Chris stated that he wanted to know the lyrics to a
                    song, in order to do orchestral transcription. He said nothing about
                    _Tengwar_. Perhaps you mistook his reference to transcription?
                  • Chris
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 19, 2003
                      Hi guys,

                      I've been in contact with Ryszard Derdzinski, and he's been able to help me out
                      himself. ("The Revelation of the Ringwraiths" is the lyric that I'm after). So thanks for
                      all the help, everybody.

                      Best wishes,

                      Chris

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 6, 2004
                        Yesterday teithant Chris:
                        >But what is this Gwaith-i-Phetdain resource you speak of?
                        www.elvish.org/gwaith

                        Here is what I found there concerning your question:

                        A KNIFE IN THE DARK (~ represents partial words)
                        0:26 Bârî 'n Nidir nê~ (Bârî 'n Nidir nênâkham)
                        ~dir nênâkham
                        Nêbâbîtham ma~ (Nêbâbîtham magânanê)
                        ~gâna~ ~nanê
                        Nêtab~ dâur~ (Nêtabdam dâurad)

                        1:05 Nêbâbîtham ma~ (Nêbâbîtham magânanê Katharâd)
                        ~gâna~ Katha~
                        Bârî 'n îdô nêd

                        See: http://www.elvish.org/gwaith/movie_soundtrack_fotr.htm
                        song number 4 - The Black Rider

                        >(And for that matter, what is Gwaith-i-Phetdain?)
                        As you can see it is one of the best sites dedicated to J.R.R.Tolkien
                        and his beautiful work. Certainly worth visiting.
                        For all movie related features see:
                        http://www.elvish.org/gwaith/movie.htm