Re: Barahir's ring page

  • mach
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2003
      Lucy wrote that it'd read _too_, and I guess the reason for this is in the
      long carrier. I'd say, however, that the length of the carrier isn't
      relevant for the orthographic English tehtar mode, and therefore it still
      reads rather _to_. If any vowels in an orthographic mode are to be
      considered long, then it's the doubled vowels _oo_ (like in _too, book_) and
      _ee_ (like in _see, been_). Yet these two vowels aren't represented with the
      long carrier, but by a doubling. So the long carrier doesn't have any
      disctinctive function, which makes it a free allograph (optional version) of
      the short carrier.

      The merging of short carrier and long carrier happens not only in the
      orthographic English tehtar modes, but also in other very different modes,
      e.g. in the phonetic English full writing of the Treebeard Page (DTS 24).

      suilaid
      mach