Re: [elfscript] tengw?

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2001
      > Well, of course, the meaning i intend: Im searching
      a name for a writing system based on
      > tengwar, but which isnt tengwar, and i thought about
      giving it a High Elven name.

      wow are you making another secondary world or a
      Tolkien-fan expansionism? :)

      > My problem is that i havnt found any examples of
      -ngw- + ending (in "an introduction to
      > Elvish" - which doesnt have too many words).

      tere are words like tengwele and tengwesta, and -a
      itself! i recommend you advise a more recent wordlist
      now (on line, or even the etymologies)

      > Are there any evidences for /ngv/ or for /ngwi/ in
      Quenya? I dont think so.

      ngv not at all, so the form that can be used is
      tengwea, as for ngwi, there is the plural tengwi

      > What about tengwavea or tenvea?

      elvea is consisted of a stem EL without its ending,
      and not **elenvea or something... so tengwa must be
      without its ending before we add -vea... after all a
      Quenya speaker would prefer to merge w with the
      adjacent v

    • jonathan wust
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 30, 2001
        --- Gildor Inglorion <elfiness@...> wrote:

        >> Well, of course, the meaning i intend: Im searching
        >>a name for a writing system based on
        >> tengwar, but which isnt tengwar, and i thought about
        >>giving it a High Elven name.
        >
        >wow are you making another secondary world or a
        >Tolkien-fan expansionism? :)

        No! I just needed more tyeller (even including the stems enlarged upwards and downwards it wasnt enough), so i included something to the system that looks similar to the esse-tehta. But in no way the system i got can be considered as nice as the real tengwar.

        >tere are words like tengwele and tengwesta, and -a
        >itself! i recommend you advise a more recent wordlist
        >now (on line, or even the etymologies)

        Thank you very much. Ill choose _tengwesta_ because it sounds really good to me. Its sound remains me the diffrence between the Spanish words _hijo_ (son) and _hijastro_ (stepson) - which fits perfectly with the meaning i intend. I dont think ill have checked out any wordlists, i just trust you.

        thanx again a lot

        choni

        Free eMail .... the way it should be....
        http://www.hablas.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 30, 2001

           >tere are words like tengwele and tengwesta, and -a

          >itself! i recommend you advise a more recent wordlist
          >now (on line, or even the etymologies)

          >> Thank you very much. Ill choose _tengwesta_ because it sounds really good to me. Its sound remains me the diffrence between the Spanish words _hijo_ (son) and _hijastro_ (stepson) - which fits perfectly with the meaning i intend. I dont think ill have checked out any wordlists, i just trust you.

          ** I don't remember my original post (has been long ago), but tengwesta means "grammar".. I think I gave you these words as examples of words derived from the stem tengw-

          since you mentioned the difference, it is time to mention that tengwa and tengwesta reminds me of the same analogy with greek "gramma" (letter) and "grammatikee" (grammar) :)